1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Lucymci, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Lucymci

Lucymci New commenter

I have been asked to teach a Year 11 boy who is dyslexic - his exams are coming up and he has only just been diagnosed. I have agreed to have one to one sessions with him; he is bright and could easily achieve an A. Trouble is I don't know where to start. Any advice will be gladly received.

2. Lucymci

Lucymci New commenter

I have been asked to teach a Year 11 boy who is dyslexic - his exams are coming up and he has only just been diagnosed. I have agreed to have one to one sessions with him; he is bright and could easily achieve an A. Trouble is I don't know where to start. Any advice will be gladly received.

3. Encourage him to use highlighter pens to pick out the main words in his notes as he revises and gloss over the little words that don't add much to the meaning of the text.

4. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Are the sessions to enable him to revise or to equip hime with strategies to deal with his dyslexia. With my own child we revised by asking questions to which he not only gave the answer but had to explain this to me. We avoided writing anything down.We used this method for Science, English and Geography. For maths he worked through past papers.It worked for us as he achieved all A and B grades.

5. YT2

YT2

Are you teaching English Language GCSE or general exam skills?