1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dyslexia

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by toobusybee, Feb 16, 2011.

1. I am doing a research project for my teacher training course please reply if you have any opinions or feedback about the title.
    Does dyslexia effect a childs progression throughout school?
    • academically
    • emotionally
    • socially
    Let me know what you think. It will be much appreciated.
    Thanks x

2. I am doing a research project for my teacher training course please reply if you have any opinions or feedback about the title.
    Does dyslexia effect a childs progression throughout school?
    • academically
    • emotionally
    • socially
    Let me know what you think. It will be much appreciated.
    Thanks x

3. Just as a matter of interest, how have you defined dyslexia? (Controversial, so your definition will be key - and could affect responses to your question.)

4. Diagnosed or undiagnosed?

5. dolfrog

dolfrog New commenter

Dyslexia is a learning difficulty about having problems with reading writing and spelling.
    Dyslexia is a man made problem about using a man made communication system the visual notation of speech.

There are three cognitive subtypes of dyslexia: auditory, visual. and attentional. and each dyslexic can one or more of these cognitive issues as the cause of their dyslexic symptom.
    So you first need to identify the underlying cognitive cause or causes of the dyslexic symptom, and then ask how these cognitive deficits or disoders affect a childs progress in the education system

6. Thankyou. Im in the process of getting a better understanding of dyslexia.
    I will revise apopropriately and present a more specific question in a couple of days.
    speak soon x

7. Hi, I am speaking as a parent of a newly 'diagnosed' dyslexic daughter age 11/year 6.
    My own area/experience of teaching is post 16 / vocational-non academic.
    Dyslexia will effect a childs progress throughout school but how much it affects the child is very dependant upon the school!
    I am currently home schooling my daughter until secondary school entry as her Steiner school basically did not screen her till she was 10 and then refused to help her beyond about 30 mins a week, her latest teacher since Sept 09 then showed minimum care for her needs and my child became very frustrated. She was happy at the school until that point but her work showed immaturity. The teachers had said everything was fine to us up until then. Obviously after years of being previously told that all is well with her I withdrew her at this point! Yes- I finally realised I'd made a huge mistake in sending her to that school-don't tell me as I am already feeling a failure.
    I am just offering some of our own perspective mostly of the social and emotional side which I feel has a major impact on the childs whole approach to the academic subjects. The affect that dyslexia has on a child seems very dependant on how the whole issue is approached, when screening is done, what support is given, how teachers relate to the child, how the children is seen within the class, and support from parents and outside agencies if applicable.
    Socially, her displaying frustration at her limitations and the lack of support in the classroom showed up very clearly in class of just 12 children whilst she was still at school, and made some of her peers ( have to state that this was just the boys ) view her as a victim. Unfortunately the teacher's reactions to her did little to dissapate the attitude that she was different. Bullying started and this was not tackled until I highlighted it. Her close circle of school friends ( 4 girls ) were very supportive of her and her SEN didn't affect their relationship or others within the school as a whole.
    Emotionally since Sept 09 she virtually became a school refuser, having headaches, stomach aches, chest pains, began bed wetting and having nightmares, none of these had occured before the latest teacher came in Sept 09 and all stated by the GP as school stress related . Since that time she also developed a resistance to being helped in group situations, being embarassed at being singled out, develop temper tantrums ( never had them before ), shouting at teachers ( is usually a calm child ) and so on.Basically a total change of behaviour and emotional state.
    Academically she is affected by the late diagnosis, the dyslexic difficulties in her literacy , she displays Auditory Processing difficulties, Maths difficulties, mild dyspraxia symptoms, handwriting, mild postural and motor issues.
    Emotional effects on her academic progress now include very low persistence and self esteem in trying anything new or tackling challenges. This itself is a now a major issue we have to address. I am seeking multi agency help to address all of her needs and am pursuing a very long complaint against her previous school.
    This is how it can all go wrong if dyslexia is ignored. All these mistakes will affect my daughters transition into secondary school. I wanted to share this as I would want anyone working in Education to avoid the same mistakes as those that have made an impact upon my daughter. Good luck with your report.