1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia training

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by donna79, Feb 18, 2011.

1. donna79

donna79 New commenter

I have just been sent information about the postgraduate course in SpLD Dyslexia which is something I would be very interested in completing. I was just wondering if anyone has done this course before and if it was manageable in terms of workload whilst still carrying out the full time duties of being a class teacher.
    Thanks

2. donna79

donna79 New commenter

I have just been sent information about the postgraduate course in SpLD Dyslexia which is something I would be very interested in completing. I was just wondering if anyone has done this course before and if it was manageable in terms of workload whilst still carrying out the full time duties of being a class teacher.
    Thanks

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'm doing this course with Dyslexia Action - it is good and interesting BUT the workload is horrific. The 15 hours per week they state is a huge underestimate if you do everything you are supposed to - I am struggling to do it alongisde a full time job and I am an 'academic' person naturally. I have done other post-grad courses and they were not as much work as this. Not every course will be the same though so its worth looking around.

4. I've recently registered for an OU course: 'Difficulties in Literacy Development' which includes a section/module on 'What is Dyslexia.' It is recognised by the BDA . The OU state it should take around 16 hours per week. It sounds like just what I need - might also suit you, but I don't know how accurate the 16 hours might be...

5. dolfrog

dolfrog New commenter

Dyslexia is on the cuting edge of Research and unfortunately the BDA have ignored the international dyslexia research of the last decade as it conflicts with their marketing strategy of remedial program endorsement.
    So any course which the BDA approves regarding "What is Dyslexia" is questionable.
    To have a real understanding of Dyslexia the course needs to include content with regard to the Three Cognitive Subtypes of dyslexia Auditory, Visual, and Attentional, and features research that compares groups of the three subtypes of dyslexics with each other as well as the control groups, instead of the old comparison of dyslexics with nondyslexics, which best suites the BDA and most other remedial program providers.
    Each of the Congnitive subtypes of dyslexics require different types of support and different types of remedial program to match their cognitive learning needs, which will require a full understanding of the nuerological issues which can cause the dyslexic symptom and multiple programs to provide the support any single dyslexic may require. Which would require a PhD qualification not some part time course approved by any charity or support organisation.

This only highlights the need for something like an Educational Research Council similar to the Medical Research Council that can actually carry out independent and reliable research instead of having to rely on self interest groups and lobbyists which i s the current situation in the UK education system.

6. Believe it or not, dolfrog, I'm in agreement with you here! But trying to get a more precise identification of the conditions causing the 'dyslexia' is well nigh impossible in most, if not all, schools.