1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia - spelling better than reading?

Discussion in 'English' started by jocraigie, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jocraigie

jocraigie New commenter

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but really need some advice. I have just picked up a Y6 tutee for maths and english. he is behind in both - working at around a Y2 level for maths and Y1 for reading. I suspect he is dyslexic so used the placement assessment for alpha and omega in his last session - he didn't get very far before he made errors reading the words but we did all of them as suggested, when it came to spelling he got considerably further before a mistake was made (and not self corrected). This confused me somewhat and made me wonder if there was something else going on. Any suggestions?

2. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

What's his history?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I once had a dyslexic pupil who read fluently but whose writing was almost totally incomprehensible. Irlen's syndrome is a possibility. Have you tried him with a text that isn't black on white?

4. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

I've taught several dyslexic pupils who present like this. Remember, dyslexia is an umbrella-term to include a whole host of learning behaviours and issues which are literacy-related. There is no one type of dyslexia.

5. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

And the associated issues with the condition can preclude development. If they develop avoidance, they can really avoid reading, but I’ve met quite a few dyslexic who developed strategies to cope with the close focus placed on spelling.