1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia - skills tests and support

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Sunnyday50, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Sunnyday50

Sunnyday50 New commenter

Are there any trainee teachers out there who are dyslexic? I'm posting on behalf of my husband who is hoping to begin a PGCE next year, but he's worried about the skills tests as he is dyslexic and would find the spelling element in particular very difficult to do correctly, especially with limited time. He is also unsure whether training providers make any allowances for dyslexic trainees or offer any support. Can anyone tell us about their experiences?
    As a teacher myself, I think it'd be ludicrous if dyslexic people were not able to train as teachers, but we really don't know what the situation is so we'd appreciate it if anyone can give us any info.

2. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Has he had a diagnosis by a SENCO or psychologist? I’ve got dyslexia and dyscalculia and got extra time for the tests but had to take my statement diagnosis to the test centre for verification.

3. Posiekins

Posiekins New commenter

I’m dyslexic and starting a PGCE in September. I did my skills tests in February, and booked for the extra time.
    But we had recently moved house and I couldn’t find my statement. I attended the Test Centre anyway (75 miles away) in the hope that I could do it without the extra time but I was turned away. The test is specifically designed to cater for dyslexia etc and can’t be changed.
    I managed to get another appointment at another centre the next day, but had to opt for the non-dyslexia one as my statement was in a storage unit somewhere, and passed, but my spelling isn’t really affected by my dyslexia, it’s more my reading concentration and remembering where I put stuff (like SENCO reports).
    So, by all means, if he has a statement, make sure he takes it, if not, get one and he should be fine. But don’t do what I did, because it was a wasted and expensive day.

4. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

Thank you, very useful to know for anyone in this situation. Good luck to the OP and anyone else doing the skills tests!