1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia screening checklists

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by jackw, May 2, 2012.

1. I'm looking for your opinions on how reliable you find dyslexia checklists/questionnaires. I had thought they were a fairly blunt instrument to be used by parents/students rather than professionals but our new SENCO wants us to use them before referring students for assessment rather than use our professional judgement. I think she's about to say she will only do dyslexia assessments for students who score highly on her preferred checklist and that my opinion (as a qualified SpLD teacher with 20 years experience) is not enough. Any thoughts? Am I being over-precious in finding this insulting.

2. I'm looking for your opinions on how reliable you find dyslexia checklists/questionnaires. I had thought they were a fairly blunt instrument to be used by parents/students rather than professionals but our new SENCO wants us to use them before referring students for assessment rather than use our professional judgement. I think she's about to say she will only do dyslexia assessments for students who score highly on her preferred checklist and that my opinion (as a qualified SpLD teacher with 20 years experience) is not enough. Any thoughts? Am I being over-precious in finding this insulting.

3. justhadatakeaway

justhadatakeaway New commenter

How annoying!
    Is this any help in backing up your argument? It seems info given to SENCOs varies from that given on SpLD courses :(

From the Rose (2009) review p.11 : Identifying and Teaching Children and Young People with Dyslexia and Literacy Difficulties

Early identification
    <font size="3">It is generally agreed that the earlier dyslexic difficulties are</font> identified the better are the chances of putting children on the road
    to success. However, blanket screening for dyslexia of all children
    on entry to school is questionable, not least because screening
    tests for this purpose are as yet unreliable. A better way to
    identify children at risk of literacy difficulties and dyslexia is to
    closely observe and assess their responses to pre- and early
    reading activities in comparison to their typically developing peers
    in the reception year of primary schools, and beyond (see
    Chapter 2).

Good luck.