1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia qualification

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Woodpeckers, Aug 11, 2011.

1. I am a very experienced primary class teacher and would like to move into tutoring dyslexic children. I work in the Independent sector and they seem to be in increasing demand. What is the best qualification to do this?

2. I am a very experienced primary class teacher and would like to move into tutoring dyslexic children. I work in the Independent sector and they seem to be in increasing demand. What is the best qualification to do this?

3. Hi, there are a huge number of courses, ranging from 1 day to the 'gold standard' 2-year postgrad diploma level courses. Have a look at the BDA and Patoss websites, which give information on which courses are accredited to give AMBDA status. Courses which lead to the APC (Assessment Practising Certificate) is another thing to look into, as this qualifies you to assess for access arrangements at GCSE and A level.
    I did the 2-year Dyslexia Action Diploma, which gives AMBDA and APC status (renewable every 3 years by showing evidence of cpd and recent assessment reports). This was hard work but a very thorough training. I know that several universities do similarly-accredited courses, eg at Bath Spa uni - again either a 1-year Certificate level which gives Approved Teacher Status, or the 2-year Diploma-level course leading to full AMBDA status.