1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia etc resources?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by clairey179, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Hi, not sure where best to post this, a SFL board would be very useful! I'm looking into the most effective programs for use with some of the children I support. I'm going to look at literacy first, before moving to numeracy. The children concerned are between P3 and P7, and are all between 2.5-4 years behind with aspects of literacy, particulary decoding and comprehension. From what I've read, toe-toe is sounding possible, but I'm struggling to find any meaningful scheme for comprehension. Due to staffing cuts, I won't be doing much of the teaching myself, so I need to find work where I can teach the initial skills etc myself. Lots of practice time etc can be done with a SFL assistant, and exercises that children can complete independantly in class.
    Does anyone have any suggestions, particularly for boosting their comprehension?
    Also keen to hear if anyone has any general suggestions of schemes etc for improving common word recognition and comprehension skills, as well as general maths schemes?
    Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Hi, not sure where best to post this, a SFL board would be very useful! I'm looking into the most effective programs for use with some of the children I support. I'm going to look at literacy first, before moving to numeracy. The children concerned are between P3 and P7, and are all between 2.5-4 years behind with aspects of literacy, particulary decoding and comprehension. From what I've read, toe-toe is sounding possible, but I'm struggling to find any meaningful scheme for comprehension. Due to staffing cuts, I won't be doing much of the teaching myself, so I need to find work where I can teach the initial skills etc myself. Lots of practice time etc can be done with a SFL assistant, and exercises that children can complete independantly in class.
    Does anyone have any suggestions, particularly for boosting their comprehension?
    Also keen to hear if anyone has any general suggestions of schemes etc for improving common word recognition and comprehension skills, as well as general maths schemes?
    Thanks for any suggestions!

3. "Code Cracker" is a great resource to teach phonics for pupils who are struggling with reading and spelling. I think it is Strathclyde University who published this. "P.A.T Phonological Awareness Training is also a programme I would recommend for pupils who need a more structured phonics programme. I would use Toe by Toe for older pupils who have maybe already failed other phonics programmes/reading programmes. It moves quiet quickly and it isn't what I would use to "teach" phonics or reading as such but it is good for pupils who have had interrupted learning or are dyslexic. There are also lots of reading schemes for pupils who are behind their recommended reading age. Barrington Stoke is fantastic and I use it alot for pupils who are behind their peers. They have lots of good books for boys who may have lost interest in reading. I would get a hold of the LDA Catalogue (www.ldalearning.com) if your school has one as well and just take a look at all of the active learning resources that you can buy. I can't think of more right now as it is the end of the school day on a Friday and my brain is frazzled and yes a SfL board on the Scottish section would be helpful!

4. Hi ,
    I would second the suggestions made by previous poster. I would like to add a few of my own.
    Spelling-Support for Spelling(worksheet based),Wordshark CD(White Space),Starspell(not sure who the publisher is) and Nessy(Nessyco.uk). This is a great resource, it has lots of games plus you can download worksheets, games which you can laminate and lesson ideas.Expensive to buy but worth it.
    Reading and Comprehension- Fuzzbuzz for children who are really struggling or Wellington square for older children. Reading for Meaning is a worksheet based resource published by Learning Materials Ltd. It is a graded resource. I think there are 4 books. Brighter Vision have some comprehension booklets, but again these are worksheet based.
    Have you got access to Stile trays and books? They do special books for children with dyslexia.The children work through at their own rate.
    Maths- Numbershark CD has games and also allows you to produce worksheets. Try LDA catalogue or Inclusive Technology. Think you can get maths based Stile books too.
    If I can think of anything else I will post at a later time. I have a date with a glass of wine at the moment. Cheers.

5. I send out a CD of over 350 Reading & Spelling Resources. They follow a structured multisensory programme of phonics & sight words. Although originally made for dyslexic pupils, I have used them with children who have reading & spelling difficulties for a variety of reasons. Many of the resources would be very useful in any primary / early years classroom.
    email for a complete list of the resources + some examples: margaret2612@btinternet.com

6. TEACHER16

TEACHER16 New commenter

Just while we are all talking about phonics...can anyone tell me a little bit more about what is taught after children learn all the initial sounds? I am getting very confused about consonant blends and constant diagraphs?