1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dyslexia? autism? how do you deal with pupils who have this

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by tree1212, May 8, 2011.

1. i have pretty much covered and understood the vast rainbow of sen, but i do not know how to provide an equal classroom opportuntiy strategy to help pupils with dyslexia or sen. all i know is to use a teaching assistant. is there any practical ways that you can help pupils which have either of these. any teachers who have pupils with these, can you please let me know how you provide extra help fitting in?
    many thanks
    paul

2. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

Your first step is cases of both dyslexia and autistic spectrum disorders is to get to know the case history of the students concerned. Ask your Special Educational Needs Coordinator for details of these students' intellectual and social strengths as well as their weaknesses in these areas, what triggers any undesirable behaviour and what has proved to be a good way of fixing their attention. If thy have been properly diagnosed with these conditions, there should be a paper trail, notably the report of the diagnostician who may make recommendations about effective classroom strategies. Knowledge of the student will empower your teaching.
    On the more general issues of classroom management and subject delivery with respect to dyslexia (usually called Specific Learning Difficulties by the professionals) and autistic spectrum disorders (ASD), there is planty of advice around for the secondary school subject teacher. On ASD, I recommend the series of free downloadable booklets at
    http://tinyurl.com/68pjlxb
    There's one for each National Curriculum subject, so you'll get subject-specific advice there, not just a compendium of generalities of use to parents but of limited applicability to classroom practitioners.
    On SpLD (dyslexia), there's a similar series of subject-specific booklets, downloadable from:
    http://issuu.com/dyslexiascotland/docs
    couresy of Dyslexia Scotland.
    If you were prepared to say which subject(s) you taught in your secondary school to students with SpLD or ASD, I might be able to make further suggestions about relevant professional literature.

3. In addition to Dodros I would suggest a few simple strategies that can be used with the whole class and so not discriminating in any way. Use lists; list the activities to be completed and leave them in full view for everyone to see, this will help the children with dyslexia and asd know what is expected of them and they can work on their own time management. Use pictorial prompts where possible. Keep the list concise and realistic. You could give the specific children a copy of the list so they can tick off tasks as they are completed. In addtion to list or as a supplement, you need to make sure that all childrens work is consistently rewarded; verbal feedback through out the lesson, this also allows you to check on progress and understanding through questioning.
    hope it helps

4. I find this article very informational. My own site also addresses symptoms of autism but in children. Thank you for you good information and please if you can vist me at http://www.aspergers-treatment.net

5. One of the hardest things for some students is copying form the board. Having a printed version or writing down for the student to copy from paper makes this task must less stressful for them and you !!!!
    It can be a pain I know but it really helps students keep up with the rest of the group.