1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia assessment courses - any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by camronfry, May 4, 2012.

1. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

I am visiting the UK for 6 weeks in July and August and would like to do a dyslexia assessment course. There seems to be quite a few providers so I need a bit of help with my decision of who to go with.
    Does anyone have any thoughts / recommendations of which providers run a decent course? (and are there any ones to avoid?)

2. camronfry

camronfry New commenter

I am visiting the UK for 6 weeks in July and August and would like to do a dyslexia assessment course. There seems to be quite a few providers so I need a bit of help with my decision of who to go with.
    Does anyone have any thoughts / recommendations of which providers run a decent course? (and are there any ones to avoid?)

3. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

To do full dyslexia/SpLD assessments in the UK you need a postgraduate diploma at the very least which is really hard work and usually takes a couple of years working full out
    It is necessary to have a assessment practising certificate which has to be renewed every three years and the criteria for this has become much more comprehensive recently and so it is very important to keep CPD up to date and to be aware of upgrades of tests/new tests when they come out.
    To assess for access arrangements , it is possible to do a much shorter course depending on the age group you will be assessing.
    I have attended some excellent CPD days with Patoss but I am an experienced assessor and many of the days are intended for people who already have experience. Their days on different aspects of assessment are excellent and if you are a member they only cost about 130 pounds a day plus free lunch which I think is excellent value and I can't praise the content of the days highly enough.
    I don't think this is an area that you qualify in and then know everything as the research developments in this area are contently changing.
    What exactly do you want to do course wise?