1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia and Programming

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by NotJohnBrownSoonUnemployed, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I have a child with this condition.
    Are there contributors on here who share it? As memory serves me, there has been at least one?
    If there are, what is your opinion of the potential effect of a more programming-focussed curriculum?
    I'm going to try Python with my younger child but a World of punctuation marks and commas doesn't seem ideal................

2. I have a child with this condition.
    Are there contributors on here who share it? As memory serves me, there has been at least one?
    If there are, what is your opinion of the potential effect of a more programming-focussed curriculum?
    I'm going to try Python with my younger child but a World of punctuation marks and commas doesn't seem ideal................

3. Thankfully Python has the least punctuation of any code based programming language I've come across. I suspect it would be useful to use IDLE or some other text editor that uses markup so that as you close brackets, etc, the symbol changes colour and also briefly highlights the other end (useful if you have nested statements, etc.).

And surely it should be a 'Hello, World!" of punctuation marks ;-)

4. Interesting.How do you think your child might manage with the graphic representations of such that are in some programming languages and systems ? Or perhaps a wordy language like Visual Basic.
    As with any skill programming is going to be at multiple levels. There will those who cannot get further than things like SEUCK and those who write fluent prolog. Then there will be those like your child who may have the intellect to program but have a specific disability that hinders them, i.e. a difficulty with dealing with the more complicated syntax.

5. SageDerby

SageDerby New commenter

I teach A-level Computing and have taught many Dyslexic students - using Pascal/Delphi. Their dyslexia didn't seem to have an impact on their ability to program.
    Yes, they made mistakes with spelling and syntax just like all the other students, but the complier points out where the errors are and they were usually able to correct them.

6. gedlad

gedlad New commenter

Had a couple of experiences in A Level Computing both got Cs and went on to uni. Both were regulars in my Computer club which helped. We used VB6 by the way.

7. I am dyslexic, and have always loved programming. I programmed for retail companies for many years with no problems. I think because there are not many word in programming it actually quite easy to do.

8. Interesting and helpful comments.
    Thanks for taking the time.

9. I echo SageDerby's experience here.

10. Never taught a dyslexic child programming so I wouldn't know ; responding to earlier comments.
    IME some children never really "get" programming, but then they probably don't get Maths, English or French either ...

11. Interesting. Modern languages like Lua and I think Python where mis-spellings of variable names are treated like new variables and can cause confusion.
    A more rigid, statically-typed language like, Basic, Pacal, C# or C++ might be better in this case.

12. Agreed, I'm dyslexic but programiing is not too much a problem for me, I learn code syntax at quite a slow rate but the ability to visualize logical relationships seems to be quite strong so I think that is my compensating ability :)

13. I used to be a software developer. One of the best engineers I worked with was dyslexic. He had a first class degree in computer science from a good university. I don't know how bad his dyslexia was, but it had no impact on his ability to program (C++ and assembler). However, he did not like writing and would only comment his code under duress - and when he did it sometimes made interesting reading :)

14. LOL After years of tapping out code I still find the LEFT and RIGHT string functions difficult, If I'm doing a function that manipulates a stringI have to look up what they do, test what they do and then on a bad day I might give up trying to understand what is going on and just use trial and error until I get the result that I want.