1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia and Dysgraphis

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by BunsandRoses, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Hi all,

This is me with my parent hat on. My 8 yo son has recently been diagnosed with Dyslexia, Dysgraphia and significant working memory issues. It has been along and hard battle to get this far. His school SENCO is recently in position with no experience or training, and to be honest, i feel they dont have a clue. As a teacher myself I can empathise with their position, but as a parent i cant just sit back and let them bodge through my sons IEP next year. I want to arrange a meeting for as early as possible in the academic year and i want to arrive with as many "Solutions" as i can rather than just moan about the problems. To give and example of how clueless they are: they have been withdrawing my son for small group phonics work once a week (His spelling is really bad), in a meeting i asked where my sons phonics weaknesses are so i could help at home..... the reply was... well we havent assessed his baseline phonics skill. I asked what they have been doing, rote learning the same spellings as his peers.... which hasnt been working! Another example is the OT report suggested alternative methods of recording his ideas, so they gave him a computer in the corner of the room and told him to type out his ideas, his is 8 and doesnt know how to type... he just sits there staring at the keyboard. He has been struggling for years with his issues and by now is totally turned off from school.... which has lead him to doing anything he can to avoid work! I want to be a helpful parent... any suggestions of things i could raise? Even any ICT packages i could suggest? Thanks!

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Hi . A quickish response because I feel strongly that if the SENCo has the title and some form of remuneration then with this comes responsibilty and accountability. Just because she is new in post and inexperienced does not mean that she is excused from doing the best for your son. If I were her and out of my depth I would be consulting with other colleagues for advice and guidance. A diagnosis is a signpost which you now have as a result of an EP consultation ? My biggest fear is that if the school don't think inclusively then it will be found wanting in so many aspects of its provision - you say you have been struggling for years to get to this stage ? In spite of my opening take on the situation I would be so tempted to find an alternative school. It's not about 'bodging IEPs ' - these are often not worth the paper they are printed on especially if those writing them are found wanting.Your son has three more years here and his self esteem is rock bottom now and understandably so. Any how happy to PM with some practical advice / solutions / strategies but I don't think you should be doing the school's job for them.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

There are a few typing programmes for the computer available some are free some you need to buy. This is something I think you could do at home as they are usually full of engaging games. I'm surprised, though not too much, that your son hasn't had some typing skills taught at school. I would have thought that it is important for all children to be taught these skills.

I think Nessy has a typing programme but there are lots if you google.

I always research any area of sen I am unfamiliar with if a child at school has these difficulties and find a quick question to other sencos equally helpful.I am also very honest with parents.

Talking tins are very useful

It is sad that the school has waited for a "label" before becoming active.

Moving school may be the best for your son. I moved my own child because of a lack of response to their needs.

4. Thanks Minnie Me i would really appreciate the advice...For reasons i cant say on the forum (with out losing anonymity) , changing schools is currently not an option. So i want to do the best i can for my son....

5. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

Have you looked at the information on the dyslexia societies web site? I think they have useful leaflets and support advice for schools and parents of children with dyslexia.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ok B and R - have PM 'd you