1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyslexia Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucylollipop, Dec 5, 2018.

1. lucylollipop

lucylollipop Occasional commenter

Hello, I also posted this on the SEN forum but think I may get more traffic here!

I am currently tutoring a Yr 5 child who has dyslexic tendencies (but no formal diagnosis yet)
    We are working on strategies to help him learn and remember spellings.
    When spelling out he will use a mixture of sounding and naming letters. Is there any advice on which ( sounding or naming) may be more beneficial?
    Thanks..

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Each child will respond differently.
    However what I have found to be useful is tactile manipuation- if the child responds. So a manipulative alphabet to feel' the letter may be helpful. I used to make Blu-tack letters with one child.
    My own child was taught 'Find a space on a a wall and trace out the letter in the air'. technique.

in fact I would say many dyslexics never manage to spell correctly, but certainly learning the 'sounds will almost always help with working out sounds in words to be able to read. So I would discourage 'naming' letters as that can be more confusing for a child who can't process sounds very well anyway,

3. lucylollipop

Thank you.
    We have been doing lots of sensory and kinaesthetic activities as this is how he processes and learns best. He is intelligent and has many strengths and understands that his challenges with spelling/reading/writing will be lifelong and understands that we are finding strategies to help him with this. It concerns me slightly that he does mix sounding and naming!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. ks9aq

ks9aq New commenter

Have you had a look at Nessy. This seems to be an excellent website. My daughter did the assessment last week and it highlighted the areas she needs to work on.

ViolaClef and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. lucylollipop

Super! Thank you. I'll have a look.

6. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

What are these?