1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyscalculia

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Julia s, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Does anyone know of any good resources to help a Yr 6 child recently diagnosed with dyscalculia?

2. Does anyone know of any good resources to help a Yr 6 child recently diagnosed with dyscalculia?

3. What would you do for a Yr 6 child who is struggling in maths that is different from one who has a diagnosis of dyscalculia? Could the person that carried out the diagnosis not tell you what to do? I wonder why not?
    Evidently the diagnosis of dyscalculia has been of little value, it
    has not helped you know how to respond. This is not your fault or doing. Joe Elliot's argument regarding
    the usefulness of dyslexia as a label can equally be applied to dyscalculia :

Elliott, J.G. & Gibbs, S. 2008. Does dyslexia exist? Journal of Philosophy of Education 42(3-4): 475-491.
    I think that you need to be able to say what are the specific difficulties that this child has. What is his/her understanding of number, counting, what are the specifc strategies employed, in short what is your knowledge of this child's mathematical thinking? Your teaching can and should be informed by this knowledge. Anyone who can recommend resources in the absence of this knowldege is questionable. Your question presupposes a notion that all dyscalculic children in year 6 are the same and the answer lies in the resources. The answer lies in the teacher's knowledge of the child, knowledge of children's mathematical thinking and development and knowledge of how to structure teaching and support learning on the basis of this analysis.

4. Wholeheartedly in agreement with ragpicker.
    Arithmetic is a complex skill involving many component skills and a range of cognitive processes (e.g.visual discrimination, spatial skills, working memory). A child with a minor difficulty with one of the component skills might just be 'not good at maths', whereas a child with a difficulties in several component skills might qualify for a diagnosis of dyscalculia. In order to facilitate the learning of both children you would still need to identify what their specific difficulties were and support those difficulties, so whether there was a 'diagnosis' nor not wouldn't make the slightest difference.
    If the child is a good reader, I would recommend Kjartan Poskitt's Murderous Maths series, because he explains the concepts clearly, concisely and wittily without overloading working memory with lots of numbers - ironically often the obstacle to mathematical progress. Changed my son's life.