1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dyed my hair too dark. Any solutions please/

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dinx67, Mar 5, 2012.

1. I believe that the 'Jobazz' hair colour remover is very effective and not terribly expensive. It does strip the colour out but is supposed to leave it in good condition. I've seen it on sale in B&M bargains and on ideal world tv website (around a tenner).
    Alternatively, people always used to say that chlorine dulled new hair dye so you could try a dip at your local baths!

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

How about some highlights? My sweetheart used to ask me to do hers and complained I put too many in and made her hair too light.

3. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Hydrogen peroxide (quid or so, chemist),mixed in with your normal shapoo, wash ad nauseum, and it does radually life the colour, after a few washes. I have to admit i did give up with the shampoo and used it neat in the end, but it did work in one evening.
    Tip received from my sister-in-law hairdresser, and it worked when I used that wful qo minute dye stuff that should hae been dark brown and ended up black. Neer realised how much difference there is between these two shades! Good luck.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

My hairdresser told me Fairy Liquid was the least harsh way of doing it if you just want it a bit lighter.
    I've bought a colour remover before and it worked but my hair wasn't in the best condition afterwards. x

5. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Bite the financial bullet, go to a hairdresser and get it sorted out there. This advice, I assure you, was learnt the hard way and definitely not the first time!
    There isn't strong enough peroxide in shop colours to really strip a too dark one, and the result will be patchy between the roots and the ends. The condition will be much better and the colour more even from a hairdresser.

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

3 months in Australia

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A solution of brown boot polish and white spirit applied to the face?

8. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Exactly what I was going to suggest.....via a hairdresser as well!

9. littlemissraw

Not with our current weather! Today is first time I've seen the sun in weeks/months!! (although believe Perth is having a good summer) x

10. caress

caress New commenter

Any silicone based hair shampoos/serums like Panthene pro V will strip colour out - & gentle on your hair too. Worked for me. x

11. My favourite solution so far...

12. Fairy liquid it is then. I will keep you posted on the results!!

13. Fantastic result. Lighter shade definately.
    Thank you to the posters who suggested it.
    Fairy liquid to lighten hair - who knew
    Added bonus of a nice clean bath now too!

14. littlemissraw

No worries! Glad it worked [​IMG] x