1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dvds to hard drive

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tassiegirl, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Before I even attempt this, I was hoping for some advice.

My relatively new macbook has yet to play a dvd and therefore, it hasn't been assigned a region.

I have a mix of Aus and UK dvd's (Region 2 and 4) and don't want to only be able to watch some of them.

However, I am also moving to Vietnam where I've been told they won't clear many of the dvd's I own (Yes, think what you would like! Its all innocent, just films like Priscilla/Billy Connelly/Underbelly/Black books etc).

So, my question is - can I plug my external hard drive into my laptop, insert my DVD and burn it directly across?

I doubt it, I know. But I thought I'd ask.

Also, can I even burn protected, legal dvd's across? I guess you can with CD's......

2. Yes you can. You need a good dvd ripping program..I use Ashampoo Burning studio....rip the dvds to avi format (700 mb as opposed to 5 gb as a dvd) and store them on a hard drive. You can rip them to mkv format if you want HD.

3. Sorry i should have said DVD FAB not Ashampoo Burning Studio.

4. Thanks, Bauble. Do I download DVD FAB off the net?

Does it cost, if so, about how much so that I am not being ripped off?

5. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

if you like the joys of having them on disk, you could rip them as a ISO and then reburn them to disk once past past port control!

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

This sounds a stupid question, butif i chose to copy dvdd to say the computer for travelling and watching on saya netbook..what would be the best format to store them on/in....i dod get confused on this one.

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

if you want to watch them from your netbook

avi
    mp4

will be your best bet

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

thank you elfie

9. A dvd will cost you about 5 gig of disk space...using the .avi container will cost you about 700 meg of disk space and is good quality...however if you want a decent HD quality picture go for the .mkv container at about 1.5 gig for a 2 hour film.