1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DVDs - aargh!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:42 PM.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Hubs wanted to watch a DVD from his pile - he likes different things to me.

I went through about 20 and there were no DVDs in the cases! Where they are is a mystery to be solved tomorrow. The ones I did find were so scratched or had things spilt on them they were unwatchable.

My 'pile' isn't perfect but at least the discs are in the cases.

Does anyone else have this problem?

2. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Established commenter

Yes.
    You could check whether any of his favourites are available on YouTube.

Lara mfl 05 and Marshall like this.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Ooh - good idea!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Sadly not a problem in our house, all our DVDs are shelved alphabetically and indexed. Every one goes straight back into its case.
    Yes I'm that sad!!

5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Are you free tomorrow to sort us out? I'll pay you!

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

A lot of space can be saved by transferring all the discs to a folder and chucking the cases in the recycling.

But then again, some people like to see endless shelves full of plastic cases. :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I've been wondering what to do when I retire, maybe this could be my niche role in life!

Marshall and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I have about three hundred DVDs all in large cardboard boxes with around five hundred CDs. Everything I have I've got again in digital format on external hard drives. An example might be Joni Mitchell. I probably got seven of her albums on CD and then her whole catalogue including those seven albums in digital format. This is the case with every artist I'm interested in and they're all classed as collections of 'Pop', 'Rock' 'Reggae', 'Jazz', 'Classical' etc.

So, once I get another seven or eight terabytes of smaller, more compact external hard drives, I can copy everything from my 'master' Seagate external hard drives onto those and put the Seagates away in the bottom of my filing cabinet.

I'll keep all the CDs until I get a car with a USB or some other connection for digital sounds and then sell off the CDs. But I'll miss all the liner notes even though I'll have some of those in digital format on the hard drives.

MY DVDs are mainly classic editions with 'extras' like interviews with directors and breakdown of how the movie was made etc. Eventually they will also be sold off. It'll be a wrench but I can't keep building up collections because I already have six large bookcases of books having not seriously bought any books for over ten years now.

I also have a large amount of digital format Philosophy collections based on philosopher or Harvard or Cambridge collections etc and other areas like 'History', 'Art', 'Literature' etc.

They're my 'software' and I'm looking forward to retirement when I can peruse them at leisure. I'll always keep all my books and I do occasionally add to them to complete favourite authors output. I have nearly three bookcases of novels, a bookcase of poetry, another of theatre plays, commentary and criticism. science, linguistics, theology and astronomy and yet another of philosophy in chronological order in line with my self-penned chronology of western philosophy.Then there is subject areas like moral philosophy, aesthetics, logic, feminism etc and some psychology and sociology mainly from the seventies. Plus lots of sundry works. I think the spines of the books add colour to the room.

9. burajda

burajda Star commenter

All of mine are in boxes in the attic, havent watched a DVD for about 7 years.

10. burajda

burajda Star commenter

I was like that with my CDs, my annoying little sister used to deliberately mix them all up.

11. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Son 2 moved out two years ago. There is a huge box of dvds in our lounge, must contain around 200 dvds, none of which appeal to husband and I. His wife won’t have them in their house, we don’t want them but will he get rid of them? We have told all three kids to sort out their stuff by the end of November or we will. I foresee trouble ahead!

1 person likes this.
  12. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

That’s the way to do it: DVDs, CDs, books etc. Easy to find what you want then.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Jude Fawley

I've just watched 'North Country' (2005) in Blu Ray digital format. Brilliant cast, great soundtrack. I have the movie on DVD but the Blu Ray is much sharper.

14. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Car boot? You may even sell four or five one Sunday morning for a quid each.

15. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I have a friend in the US who has regular sessions with a "professional organiser": she posts pictures of the tidied and organised shelves/cupboards/room afterwards. There's obviously a living to be made from it in some areas...

16. install

install Star commenter

We no longer have a need for dvds..Everything we need is stored on the tv or available . :)

17. Jude Fawley

I watched the movie 'This Beautiful Fantastic' on the BBC the other night. Whoever did the design had no idea of how order is actually achieved. It's a messy person's idea of order not an orderly person's idea of order.