1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Duties of a Deputy

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by dianehistory, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dianehistory

dianehistory New commenter

Hi can anyone tell me what the duties of a Deputy would normall cover? Just the main aprts of a job description. For example, would a Deputy just cover pastoral care? If so, would that mean they would have absolutely no academic input to the whole school curriculum policies? Is that unusual or is it the norm for the Deputy to just be pastoral care?
    Thanks

2. dianehistory

Hi can anyone tell me what the duties of a Deputy would normall cover? Just the main aprts of a job description. For example, would a Deputy just cover pastoral care? If so, would that mean they would have absolutely no academic input to the whole school curriculum policies? Is that unusual or is it the norm for the Deputy to just be pastoral care?
    Thanks

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Who can say - each school's deputy head job descriptions are their own invention. There's no law, no rules and it would be daft for anyone to give a definitive answer.

4. dianehistory

OK Thanks. Its just that I have read a lot of job descriptions but although they were varied, there were several specs the same, for example input into the curriculum

5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

If you are working in a school you may well find that the roles and responsibilities of the SLT are published in the staff handbook. Often a good place to start.

6. dianehistory

Thanks Mrkeys. As astonishing as this may seem, we don't book with the roles of SLT! Basically, the PE teacher was given the job, but I am just curious for myself. I had assumed that like a teacher there waould be a standard set of responsibilities along with varied duties from school to school

7. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

At both my current school (prep school) and previous school (state middle school) we had/have 2 deputies, one purely academic who only got involved in pastoral things if the other was away and the other was purely pastoral and never got involved in academic matters.

8. dianehistory

Thanks Trinity. That sounds an excellent idea. Is that common? Its just that we have a deputy who was the PE teacher, and when she became Deputy Head, she refused to have anything related to curricula which has resulted in the HT being in charge of it. Obviously, he's really busy all the time, so its difficult to discuss issues with him, and I had not heard of a DH in seconday being in sole charge of pastoral care and nothing else.

9. I am a sole deputy- secondary school- therefore I pretty much do, as the previous post said, anything and everything. Yes many secondaries have 2 deputies- a pastoral and a curriculum but this is by no means the only way. Besides if there are 2 deputies- who actually deputises?

10. and if you think that meeting parents is time consuming- you are not ready for Deputy Headship. Building partnerships with your parents by spending time with them is essential.

11. Hi Diane
    I guess the roles really do depend on the type of school , age phase etc.
    I was made Deputy in January and my roles are to lead curriculum change , introduce a new assessment system and be the Assessment Co-ordinator. I plan and manage staff training , volunteers and student placements. I do absence cover (groan!) and am training to be the Educational Visits Co-ordinator and an additional Child Protection Officer for when the Head is off site.
    I provide endless amounts of pastoral care , do lesson observations , mentor an NQT .
    I monitor the Personalised Learning Plans for each pupil (we are a 71 pupil Special School) and run Annual Reviews for parents. I meet and support parents and work with the Head to write the SEF and create a School Improvement Plan. I do a whole school Assembly once a week and do Dinner Hall duty 3 times a week.
    Sorry if that feels really rambling I guess the reality is my job is whatever whenever - including unlocking at 7.15 when the Premises Officer is off!
    In bigger schools the roles may divide into pastoral and curriculum ; particularly if there's Assistant Heads - my advice is you need to be prepared to do anything - there's no directed hours for Deputies!
    Rachel

12. Hi Diane
    I guess the roles really do depend on the type of school , age phase etc.
    I was made Deputy in January and my roles are to lead curriculum change , introduce a new assessment system and be the Assessment Co-ordinator. I plan and manage staff training , volunteers and student placements. I do absence cover (groan!) and am training to be the Educational Visits Co-ordinator and an additional Child Protection Officer for when the Head is off site.
    I provide endless amounts of pastoral care , do lesson observations , mentor an NQT .
    I monitor the Personalised Learning Plans for each pupil (we are a 71 pupil Special School) and run Annual Reviews for parents. I meet and support parents and work with the Head to write the SEF and create a School Improvement Plan. I do a whole school Assembly once a week and do Dinner Hall duty 3 times a week.
    Sorry if that feels really rambling I guess the reality is my job is whatever whenever - including unlocking at 7.15 when the Premises Officer is off!
    In bigger schools the roles may divide into pastoral and curriculum ; particularly if there's Assistant Heads - my advice is you need to be prepared to do anything - there's no directed hours for Deputies!
    Rachel

13. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Rachel, you would be advised to change your log in name.
    It is best to avoid being easily identified on a public forum.