1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

During Ofsted how many of you have had to show a scheme of work/learning?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by egyptiangirl, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Just curious as to whether people have or not and which subject?

Thanks

2. finamar

finamar New commenter

I have never been asked for a SOL: the inspectors don't ask for lesson plans either, they just need to see that lessons are well planned!

3. bonjourmadame

bonjourmadame New commenter

We've been Ofsteded this week and were told by SMT to have schemes of work, medium term plans and lesson plans to be handed to the inspector as she walked in the door. I put them in a folder for each lesson. Hope that helps.

4. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Inspectors won't demand to see plans, but if your SMT suggests you hand plans over then it is their decision. There is no obligation set by OFSTED. Your SMT is covering its back... who can blame them

5. lilybetbee

lilybetbee New commenter

We have just been inspected. Ofsted asked for lesson plans but we had been told they were not required so didn't have them. In feedback the lack of formal lesson plans was a criticism made by the inspector.

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Somebody - ie. the HT or CoG - should be raising merry hell about that.

7. We were told by the lead inspector to have planning on a spare chair for them - just put weekly plans for core subjects and SoW for Topic work in a plastic wallet, together with an attainment overview for my class. (I've been through inspections in this academic year, as well as the previous one, and it was the same in both of them.)
    Planning was mentioned in the feedback as well and formed part of the "teaching" aspect looked at. They also looked at books (presentation and marking) and talked to children about whether they understand the feedback given, whether they have the opportunity to respond to it or revise work, etc. My planning makes it obvious why particular children might work outside of their designated groups and that work is adapted, based on assessments and observations made in the preceding lesson(s).
    I find it surprising that you wouldn't put planning out for them to look at, if only to make sure they understand what's going on in the lesson. It's a bit tricky for them to see where you have come from and what you are planning to get to in the short time they are in the room for. My differentiation is also not always so obvious that an observer would just see it, without having at least a limited understanding of my class context.

8. I agree with the previous poster that the SLT or LA should be playing hell with this. Para 26 of the Schools Inspection Handbook clearly states :
    Inspectors will not expect teachers to prepare lesson plans for the inspection. However, they will expect to see well-planned lessonsand should focus on the overall quality of the school's curriculum planning.
    I agree with dejana that it's useful to do a plan to lay out the context of the lesson and so the inspector can see what has gone on in the lesson before s/he came into the lesson or to show what is to happen when s/he leaves. It's also useful to put basic info on for the inspector such as number of pupils usually in the class and the ability of the class (since they have to put this information on their evidence form). However, for planning to be a focus for inspection is clearly against the rules in the handbook.

9. I don't care what SLT ask its whether the inspection team have ever asked.

When you say the 'lead inspector' asked, what do you mean? They stood in front of all staff and said give your SOW? Or did it come 'via' SLT?!

10. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

We've just had OFsted and we were asked by SLT to have timetables for the week available so that Ofsted inspectors could see which lessons were happening where and when. This I presume came from Ofsted, because they never asked for them before and it made sense to me for OFsted to have an overview of what was happening when.

I left plans out for Literacy and Numeracy and that's all they visited anyway. The lead inspector visited my maths lesson and asked where the most able were and where my plans were. My planning was very scant and light touch. SLT told us not to do anything fancy, just our usual plans so that was all they got. SLT provided them with all the other data they needed. The first thing they looked at when they came in was the books and their focus was very much on the more able and challenge. We got a good.

11. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Sounds like you have a sensible and secure SLT.

12. finished today.
    Just asked for a weekly Numeracy and Literacy plan, told we didn't need to provide lesson plans.
    They weren't looked at, they were more interested in looking at books.