1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dunblane- 20th anniversary

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Jesmond12, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

ScotSEN likes this.
  2. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

It was a terrible event, much like the Aberfan disaster; almost too shocking to comprehend.

I suppose one thing to think on is that, for us, it was so terrible because it was so rare. Sadly, in America, such events are almost commonplace. As a country, we do get some things right.

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There is an unthinkable level of tragedy that occurs when something like this happens in a school.

Also we often solely think about those who don't make it in such events, but for a child to survive having witnessed such a thing affects them for the rest of their lives. I was reading eye witness accounts from the school involved in the Pocoima mid air collision recently and people are still clearly affected 60 years later

ScotSEN likes this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If you think it will be difficult to watch then don't watch it.

lindenlea likes this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The ages of the children are something which adds so much to the tragedy.

Deaths

• Victoria Elizabeth Clydesdale (age 5)
    • Emma Elizabeth Crozier (age 5)
    • Melissa Helen Currie (age 5)
    • Charlotte Louise Dunn (age 5)
    • Kevin Allan Hasell (age 5)
    • Ross William Irvine (age 5)
    • David Charles Kerr (age 5)
    • Mhairi Isabel MacBeath (age 5)
    • Brett McKinnon (age 6)
    • Abigail Joanne McLennan (age 5)
    • Gwen Mayor (age 45) —Primary School Teacher
    • Emily Morton (age 5)
    • Sophie Jane Lockwood North (age 5)
    • John Petrie (age 5)
    • Joanna Caroline Ross (age 5)
    • Hannah Louise Scott (age 5)
    • Megan Turner (age 5)

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

http://www.dunblaneexposed.info

I was thinking about Dunblane the other day and this led to the inevitable googling (something not possible at the time) and there is a school of thought that Hamilton was part of a paedophile ring and the massacre was far more than a chap gone a bit gaga all of a sudden.

Can of worms.

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Not necessarily. Conspiracy theorists abound.

anotherauntsally and nomad like this.
  9. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

That's true. And that was my first thought. BUT BUT BUT there is quite a bit out there on this theme.

10. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I won't be watching it. I was starting to well up watching a short item about Dunblane on the 6 o'clock news earlier. I still remember when I first heard the news: a sixth-former came into afternoon registration and said he'd heard about a shooting at a school in Scotland. And the news went from bad to worse. My children are only slightly older than those killed, which made it all the more raw to me at the time. Truly, unimaginably awful for all those concerned.

11. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

They were talking about it on Radio Scotland this morning, and I had to turn it off. Too harrowing, too sad.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Lead commenter

There was an interview with one of the mums on R4 Today this morning.
    My eldest daughter is the same age as the children, just coming up to 26 - same age as Jamie Bulger too.
    Counting my blessings ...

13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I was at university in the middle of my teacher training. I lived in Scotland and I remember going home and going immediately to my daughter's school and picking her up. She was 7 at the time and there were many shocked parents there.

It will be difficult to watch but we need to remember those who lost their lives in such tragic circumstances.

aspensquiver_2 and sabrinakat like this.
  14. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I think Andy Murray and his brother Jaime were in school that day - I read somewhere that either one of their classes (not sure which) was next to use the gym?

I may watch but as my munchkin is just 4 might be too much. I always cry when I see anything about James Bolger - poor little man...

15. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Yes Andy Murray was there, not sure about Jamie. That's why Andy points up to the sky whenever he wins a match. It is his way of remembering his school mates.

Dragonlady30 and sabrinakat like this.
  16. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I heard that too, ROSIE.It must have been awful for those mothers to wait at the school for hours on end before learning the fate of their children.

Obviously the first priorities of the police is to to ensure the site is safe, get the injured to hospital and to gather evidence in a controlled manner before the crime scene gets contaminated, so we can't blame them for doing their job. I wouldn't doubt that the horrific nature of the crime hampered their efficiency in doing their jobs either.

Thankfully incidents like this are rare and when they happen, lesson get learned in how to better deal with them, but I think the reality is that it's impossible to train a workforce on how to behave when they are first on the scene in an emergency situation like this.

There will be experts who know how to deal will the people affected, but they have to be bused in. I'm not really saying anything other than situations like this are God awful for everyone involved and that nobody should be criticised if they make poor decisions in the circumstances.

17. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Maybe the OP feels a sort of duty to watch it.

18. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

I didn't know that. Saw a documentary about Andy last year and his voice broke when answering a question about the effect on him and the town.

19. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

The Brits/Scots/UK learned, in America, the gun lobby argues that if the children had been armed......(am disgusted as an American)

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our youngest was the same age as the children who were murdered at Dunblane - I could only read so much about the events before I had to stop, because I kept imagining her in the same situation.

The only good to come of it was far stricter controls on those in this country who feel it necessary to play with handguns in their spare time. We have the right attitude to that issue on this side of the Atlantic.

My sympathies to all those who are still suffering the loss twenty years on.

sabrinakat likes this.