1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dummy used on reception child to calm him down???

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by mishmish121, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Hi all

On a parent forum a mum posted to say that her son in Reception had fallen over and cut his knee. When she turned up he was sitting with his trousers off sucking something akin to a dummy (it had a teat). She was told he was hysterical and it was school procedure. When she went to see the Head she was told none of the other 12 steps had worked (cuddles, drawing etc) and that this had been recommended by a special needs teacher for using with austic children. As far as I can make out her child isn't special needs. I have been an early years teacher and manager for over ten years and have never heard of this or ever had a problem calming a hysterical child. I am fascinated by this post and want to know if anyone uses this procedure in school and if so what is the thinking and policy behind it. It seems regressive to me seeing as we spend a lot of time trying to make children independent and that some mums have real difficulty getting children to give up their dummies before starting school, and some mums do not like to use dummies at all even with babies.

2. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

What a weird thing to do. I've never heard of it before. Personally, I hate dummies and as a parent I'd have been furious if my daughter had ever been given one at nursery or at school.

3. That's what I said.

4. I can't imagine ANY school doing this. Are you sure the original post was genuine??? Smells like a troll to me!!

5. What 12 steps???? Odd, very odd???

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

Please name the forum.

7. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Do you think we have to go through the 12 steps, can't we give all the children a teat thing - it might make for a lovely quiet day all round![​IMG]

8. hmmm sounds like AA 12 steps ............ maybe DA dummy addiction.
    in real life we have a problem with parents leaving dummies in children's bags that children know are in there and try to get out. Yuck!

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

10. Personally I think that is extremely bad practice. Majority of children are easily comforted after falling with kind words or a being brave sticker (although then children catch on and say they are constantly falling over to try and swindle stickers).
    Why did he have no trousers on? He cut his knee, I wouldn't say that warrents not getting dressed again after. That school is going to have extremely babied children rather than the independent children we should be striving for.
    Personally I also wouldn't want to be called into school for my child falling over unless he/she had hit their head badly and school were concerned or needed hospital treatment.