1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dummy - take away now or after baby no. 2 arrives?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by 54321stopmakingsausages, May 2, 2011.

1. Hello everyone. We have a lovely 20 month old daughter who has the dummy to got to sleep at night. I don't really consider it an issue and would probably let her keep it until such time that we could dupe her with tales of fairies needing it in return for a small present or the like...! however, baby no. two is due in August, and there is a good chance we will use a dummy again for babe if needed.
    I am wondering whether it is silly to remove daughter's dummy now only for her to then possibly see her sibling with one (possibly) in a few months and want it again. I know it is all speculation; just wondered what others had done.
    Thanks x

2. Hello everyone. We have a lovely 20 month old daughter who has the dummy to got to sleep at night. I don't really consider it an issue and would probably let her keep it until such time that we could dupe her with tales of fairies needing it in return for a small present or the like...! however, baby no. two is due in August, and there is a good chance we will use a dummy again for babe if needed.
    I am wondering whether it is silly to remove daughter's dummy now only for her to then possibly see her sibling with one (possibly) in a few months and want it again. I know it is all speculation; just wondered what others had done.
    Thanks x

3. Hi, if she only uses it at night I'd say leave it. She's about to experience huge upheaval with you having a new baby; just let her keep her comforts for now. When she's older she can give it to the dummy fairies or even to the new baby (but be warned she might steal her sibling's dummy- I never had a dummy but when my brother was born when I was 2 and a half, used to steal his and hide behind the sofa sucking it!!)
    I am thinking the same about my daughter's bedtime and morning bottles- going to keep them as she will be 20 months when number 2 comes along and I don't want too many things to change in her little life at once. That said, i have no experiecne with dummies so you might get better advice from parents of older children who have had/stopped having dummies.

4. Have you tried taking it off her? I took my daughter's away at 17 months with zero fuss at all. It probably is a good ahe to at least have a try and if it doesn't work just leave it as it is. My daughter is now 24 months and I could definitely get her to understand that dummies are for babies. I'm just saying it might not be as big a deal as you are expecting.