1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dulce et Decxorum Est - Wilfred Owen

Discussion in 'English' started by isobel789, Jun 17, 2012.

1. I am just starting a new Controlled Assessment Year 11 unit on Dulce . . . Does anyone out there have any great resources, lessons ideas ppts on the poiem? In exchange I can offer comprehensive, detailed materials, ppts, SOW, podcasts on almost anything on the GCSE OCR Lang and Lit syllabus. Please help if you can.
    Many thanks.

2. RCMJ

RCMJ New commenter

As an ex-squaddie my most kinesthetic advice would be to grab yourself a rucksack with anywhere between 65 - 90 lbs inside it (the weight typically carried by a soldier when they went over the top) and let them get their collective heads around the sheer realism of "Bent double, like old beggars under sacks". It's not the figurative or merely metaphorical language we're sometimes led to believe. Oh, and after a couple of laps of the classroom / area outside, get the carrier(s) to take off their shoes and do it in socks. After all, "many had lost their boots".
    Depending on how much time you could devote to the background, a whole-class truging towards the putative "distant ridge" might bring the context home to them in a way that watching DVDs and Imperial War Museum clips may not...
    In case you're wondering, bags of sand make a wonderful way of packing in the weight - B&Q or similiar would be delighted to help, I'm sure [​IMG]

Best of luck

3. A fantastic idea for soime active learning. I will definitely use it!
    Many thanks.

4. gloucesterroad

gloucesterroad New commenter

I have an entire resourced SOW for OCR Lang Lit CAs. Email me - jessgray83@gmail.com and I'll send them on to you. The poems may not be right, depending on which session you are entering them with, but I designed the SOW to work with any Owen poetry.

5. diamond_raindrops

diamond_raindrops New commenter

6. Many thanks for all the guidance - Much appreciated.

7. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Use BBC classroom clips, search for Dulce et Decorum and you'll find 4 useful short films.