1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dukhan Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by doboon, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Dukhan is a small gated community - not actually a real town.

Pay is better there than in Doha - which is a horrible place to live (in my opinion).

You will be well away from the rat race of mainstream qatar - but that means that you will be surrounded by your kids and colleagues every day. If you would not like this don't apply (although the deal is very good). Generally a very supportive community. A non-working spouse, however, would need to be mentally self-sufficient.

Would rather be there than in Doha

2. Re: query about being a single parent. I am one and they offered me interviews for an unpromoted and HOD job. I have been married though and this seems to make all the difference in the Middle East.

3. Apologies for my lack of grammar ? I blame it on laziness and marking?..Esl essays!!!

4. Interviews will last for up to two weeks. I was amongst the first last Thursday. Most people should know their fates near the end of the half-term holiday here in the UK, or late Feb as the Headteacher will have interviews to do back in Qatar as well. He has to interview for 33 different posts, needless to say this will be an enormously rigorous exercise in logistics and selection parameters.

The package is excellent as far I'm concerned, and I liked the fact the school has huge potential to grow into one of the top of the range schools in Qatar. It's a case of evolving and adapting with the school's growth as a teacher, and more crucially in my humble opinion, as a resident of Dukhan.

Good luck guys/gals with those interviews!

5. I have my interview for this school tomorrow. Anyone else gone for secondary maths ?

Also has anyone got any interview tips for this one?

6. well you could do what brianhassan did and apply for primary brown nose ..

7. dear brown-nose aka Mr. C - if you think everyone is dumb enough to believe that PR release then your "enormously rigorous exercise in logistics and selection parameters" is a bit of a waste of time. Who's fooling who and more importantly - why????

8. up
    In case anyone missed this information

9. Mr C.....s.... or Mr Q....w...???

10. I had senior post interview last week, and I felt everything was fair-no trick questions and very relaxed. I have been to Dukhan before and know it has its downside with its location, but the package was competitive, and the school seems to be developing. Having had many dealings with other schools in the Middle East, there are a lot worse places to work, however you need to go in with your eyes open about the location as it can be remote, but the accomodation looked good, and if the motorway is finished it should be 45 mins to Doha

11. it seems there is competition for primary suck up ..

or maybe that was just a slip of your tongue ?

12. you'd better be careful brian, sentinal is after your 'position' ..

or was that just a slip of the tongue ?

13. Alright Mary, time to go back and tend your garden, and do try to be an ever so pretty maid.

14. Looks like Mary's lost her tongue!

15. dear brainless .. oops sorry, i mean brian

be careful with tongue jokes, however, on the positive side, if you lost yours we would, at least, know where to look !!

anyway, i thought you were supposed to work with children, if you did, you would know that mary GREW pretty maids, she didn't aspire to be one ..

and I'm sure if mary had known you she would have had a struggle choosing what to grow ..

mother-in-laws (brown) tongue ?

or maybe sycophant sunflowers ?

have a nice day ..

PS. i'll log on again in 3 days, that'll give you chance to come up with another cutting reply ..

yawn yawn

16. Tee hee! Juvenile repartee and wit!!

17. Ohhh, yawn!

Mary, I was just wondering whether you are that bored with safe educational discourse that you have to get personal because you need the craic?

There's remote, then there's remote. But are you remote-controlled.

18. brianhassan said

"The package is excellent as far I'm concerned, and I liked the fact the school has huge potential to grow into one of the top of the range schools in Qatar. It's a case of evolving and adapting with the school's growth as a teacher, and more crucially in my humble opinion, as a resident of Dukhan."

... you call that 'safe educational discourse' ???????????

I would call that regurgitation of 'spiel' .. you must be an advertisers dream come true !!!

or naiive
    or a brown nose
    or stupid

you bore me, you greasemonger

: p

19. brainlesshassan said ..

"There's remote, then there's remote. But are you remote-controlled."

you cut me brian, you cut me real deep !

I simply can't compete .. ladies and gentlemen and comedy genius is born !

20. Complete the followint series...

gadge, blackbird, marycontrary,