1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dukhan job!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Miss_Qatar, Mar 4, 2011.

1. 'Experience appropriate to length of service.' - sorry if i sound 'dumb' but what does this mean?

2. 'Experience appropriate to length of service.' - sorry if i sound 'dumb' but what does this mean?

3. I would take it to mean the following...

Candidate X - Has taught for 10 years as a History Teacher, teaching the Cambridge Exam board in the same school.

Candidate Y - Has taught for 10 years as a History Teacher. Has taught in three different schools, teaching three different curriculums, and for 4 of those years operated as a HOD for Humanities.

So Candidate Y has more experience appropriate to the length of their service as they have taught a more diverse curriculum, worked in different schools and have worked as a HOD. Of course moving schools does not necessarily mean they are a better teacher, far from it, but it gives them experience on how different schools operate. It sounds like they want a teacher with ambition.

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Other reasonable explanations not withstanding it still sounds awkward to me. Maybe they meant to write salary/renumeration appropriate to length of service?