1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Duke of Edinburgh Co-ordinator

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by jilly_mc, Sep 20, 2017.

1. jilly_mc

jilly_mc New commenter

Hi all,

I've just been appointed as the DofE Co-ordinator for my school, for which I'm very excited and a little terrified as we have a long standing and very successful award programme.

I just wondered: if anyone else holds this post/ knows someone who does, are you given a timetabling allowance? If so, roughly how many hours per week?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Jilly

2. dts

dts Occasional commenter

Our DofE coordinator doesn't have a timetable allowance as far as I'm aware (not 100% sure as he's part time) but he is not a form tutor so that he can use the tutorial slots to meet students and carry out some of the admin.

3. jilly_mc

jilly_mc New commenter

Thanks @dts - I've also got a form group of 20 sixth formers (first year only) so at the moment I feel a bit like I'm being pulled in all directions!

4. 03mkk

03mkk New commenter

I have a year 8 form but get one hour protected a week. I am also one hour under timetable. I run two after school and one lunchtime sessions a week.... you've got to love it to put all time time and effort in- especially when it comes to weekend treks!

jilly_mc likes this.
  5. jilly_mc

jilly_mc New commenter

Thanks @03mkk , that's good to know. I'm currently full tt with a form group as above, plus 4 of 5 days all ft staff are scheduled to run after school activities (we're Indy senior with most students travelling in on buses). As most staff I also have break/ lunch duty once a week.

I've helped out on loads of expeds including the August bank holiday, so I've no issue with that, it's just the thought of balancing the eDofE admin with full teaching/ marking/ planning load which is a bit daunting!

6. catbanj

catbanj Occasional commenter

I did it for years and never got one lesson free or paid for anything I did.... and our scheme was massive. 40 or so at Bronze plus 30 ish at silver. I was away every weekend of term time from Easter to October to fit all the training and expeditions in.

I hope things have changed now and you get the time and money you deserve

7. jilly_mc

jilly_mc New commenter

Thanks @catbanj . We have a huge scheme of ~160 participants across bronze, silver, gold encompassing walking, canoeing and cycling for exped. I'm lucky to have inherited a large number of willing staff volunteers and the exped calendar for this year is all planned, but of course with so many participants there's a lot of admin, not least on eDofE, to be done!