1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Duke of Edinburgh award scheme

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by elrae, Apr 15, 2012.

1. If pupils at your school are involved in this, do they miss lessons for expeditions in term time, or do they go in the holidays?
    How is it staffed? Are the staff volunteers, or paid, or is it balanced by timetable concessions?
    Thanks for any info you can offer

2. Sorry - not clear, I am asking about the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme

3. In my children's school they used to use the last few days of the summer term in Y10 for the bronze trip, and now I think they are planning to do the bronze expedition during Work Experience time - so the ones doing D of E don't do as much Work Exp (or D of E kids don't do Work Exp? - none of mine in Y10 this year, so I'm not certain about this)
    Don't know if this helps at all... I have no idea when/whether they do the silver expedition... though presumably that could be done by the Y11s after their exams

4. 1. The qualifiers take place on a Friday, Sat and Sun for the silver and Sat and Sun for the bronze so only 1 day missed. For the training this is done after school as an extra curric club. We have 40 pupils in each award.
    2. There is one person in charge who gets a TLR (not me!) and the rest are volunteers. Can get tricky to get staff to attend sometimes but has never been a problem.
    Does this help?

5. Blissx saidT"he qualifiers take place on a Friday, Sat and Sun for the silver and Sat and Sun for the bronze so only 1 day missed. For the training this is done after school as an extra curric club. We have 40 pupils in each award.
    2. There is one person in charge who gets a TLR (not me!) and the rest are volunteers. Can get tricky to get staff to attend sometimes but has never been a problem.
    Does this help?"
    The same format at my present and last schools. It seems my lot have had difficulty finding enough volunteers for this year's expeditions though.

6. I believe one person has a TLR who has overal responsibility and staff who "volunteer" get days off in lieu - all done at weekends & afterschool

7. Independent school response here:
    One member of staff, who takes the lion's share of organisng (Silver) gets extra pay. Other staff who contribute do it without extra pay. Some staff seem happy / keen to do this. They are generally the natural bachelor / outdoor types.
    Camping trips occur in term time or holidays - if in term, the school sometimes asks staff to be more lenient with h/w. But, to be honest, I am not always lenient. If there is something important then they have to acommodate it as well as their DoE trip - after all, DoE is optional and my subject is mandatory.
    My children, in another school, have term time (bronze) and holiday time (gold) camping trips. I don't know about staff pay. However, there are no concessions for home work or other academic commitments. If the pupils have signed up for DoE, it is assumed thay can organise themselves to meet all their commitments as necessary. On ocassion, this has meant that some pupils approach staff a week or two in advance & get their homework given to them early so they know what they have to plan for. This puts pressure on the staff to be organsied!

8. My edit did not get through:
    Camping trips for Bronze are at the weekend, so no lessons are missed. Silver camping is also a weekend, term time, activity but they may miss a Friday afternoon lesson. Gold camping is done in the holidays or half term - a 4 day stint in Wales. No missed lessons.
    Preparation in the run up to the camping trips is done at the weekends (on the school site) or as part of a PE option that is chosen by the DoE pupils, so is in school time. Their non DoE peers will do a PE activity while the DoE guys do 'route planning' or 'tent erection' or 'trangier cooking practise' each week.
    Hope this helps.

9. Thanks to all of you, really helpful

10. School 1. Mainstream secondary. Run by volunteers, although after much arguing back and forth there are now slots on the timetable for 1) delivering skills sessions for expeditions 2) staff to be able to organise expeditions (currently 20+ doing Bronze, 20 doing Silver and 8 doing Gold). practice expeditions and day walks held weekends and holidays, final expedition goes out during final two weeks of term when timetable is collapsed for 'activity fortnight'

School 2. SEN school. The entirety is done during the school day, although we will need to go out for expeditions. All volunteers (all 3 of us) but only 9 pupils doing Bronze, so very little in terms of paperwork, etc.

11. 6th form gold do expeditions in holidays or after the exams when my timetable is lighter.
    KS4 curriculum and enrichment bronze and silver during term time, usually straddling a weekend.
    Enrichment groups by volunteers, us outdoorsy types really (we have a history teacher who has bagged all the Munroes). No extra cash or timetable time. We use teh LA for expedition support but I have been known to drive to Yorkshire to camp out with a group because there isn't another female available and then drive back at 5.30am to teach a full day!
    Curriculm groups have timetables lessons for it.

12. I run d of e for scouts and we do accept any skills or physical done in curriculum time, it has to be achieved in their own time . It is all about them giving their personal time to complete the award

13. LVG

LVG

I am trying to gather information on this too with a short Survey Monkey. I'd be happy to share results.

Really grateful if anyone could take a moment to fill it in:

www.surveymonkey.com/.../VBMDXL3

Thanks in advance!