1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Duke of Edinburgh Award - Dummy's guide please!

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by ladywholunch, Apr 1, 2017.

1. ladywholunch

ladywholunch New commenter

Has anyone helped, ran, taught, any/all of the above with a DofE course in schools.
    A DHT is pressuring me to maybe get involved and it looks pretty vague. Any helpful hints and tips from experienced DofEers?

2. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

The SQA spoil teachers rotten in terms of support and materials compared to DofE and ASDAN - fee paying and top league table non-fee schools do better in the "courses" - which are meant to be projects etc run by pupils themselves.
    I wouldn't exactly say "run" from DofE but it's not the most fulfilling experience and the paperwork attached is over the top. Not the most helpful people in the world to deal with either. Ex military and scout types.

Give it a go but help out with a course first before leading one first time around!

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Can you say no to this opportunity to volunteer.

I'm against any such activities (as a union rep) for the simple reason that if a kid fell off a mountain (or even dropped a £200 phone in a river) then the school, and especially the DHT, would only take a hundredth of a second to answer the difficult moral question.
    "Do we stand by @ladywholunch or hang her out to dry?"

catmother likes this.
  4. jilly_mc

jilly_mc New commenter

@ladywholunch did you make a decision? I've been helping out with DofE for a few years and have now taken over as the Leader for our school, so if you plumped for it your thoughts/experiences would be very useful :)