1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dukan Diary

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Apr 11, 2011.

1. There is no escape. There might be a million blogs about it but there isn't a thread on here.
    I've lost nearly two stones with WW but cannot shift the last four pounds that will make Weightwatchers free to me, so am going to try the Dukan Diet, hated by nutritionists and kidney-fearers everywhere.
    Tomorrow's menu is a poached egg and some ham for breakfast, a steak for lunch and smoked haddock poached in milk for dinner. I have some no-fat yogurt and chunks of cooked chicken for a snack. All washed down with good ol' water and 2 tbsp oat bran.
    Yum.

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Wot, no croissants???

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

What the hell is it?I read the thread title and thought it was a sci fi tv programme.

4. It's an Atkins-type thing. Protein-only for a few days, then alternating (non-carb) veg + protein days until you get to the weight you want. It gets a bit more normal after that.
    I am just not moving any inches here. Even though I've lost weight I still have this gross gut poking out. I will try anything for a few months! I would joyfully welcome lipo if I could afford it!

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Not really one for the veggies then?

6. He is working on a cereals and pulse effort but I can't see it being very quick!

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Buggger that for a lark.

8. It is all *** meat!
    What do us non-meaties eat?
    I can eat a bit of meat but look at it! I don't eat that much meat in months, never mind a week!

9. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'm more worried about the lack of 'bulk' to keep the bowels, er, active. [​IMG]

10. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Is there a veggie Dukan or Atkins?

11. You have to eat 2 tbsp oat bran and a couple of pints of water a day. Plus the exercise.

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

That'd shift some weight!

13. That is normal for me.
    What is it with the meat?

14. Same principle as Atkins but without the fat. Your body preferentially uses sugar as an energy source, and when that's gone, it breaks down fat or uses any that is floating about from your last meal. If there's plenty of protein about it will use that for energy but uses up energy in doing so. The sudden departure of fat and sugar from your diet shocks your body into raiding the fat stores. You don't need to do it for long.
    Because you aren't eating fruit, veg or cereals you need to take the bran for fibre and a decent vitamin and mineral supplement (though I'm suspecting you won't be short of iron). Because your kidneys are working harder to process the products of protein breakdown, you need to be drinking a lot of water.
    When i did Atkins some years ago, I lost a stone in a month and two pounds a week thereafter until i got to the size I wanted. I had no ill-effects from it at all except that it was a weird fake diet that I couldn't have expected the rest of my family to share indefinitely. Same as this one. Weightwatchers is restricted amounts of almost every food so fits in with family meals. This sure as hell isn't. This is me Doing A Diet for a specific occasion.

15. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It's so depressing. Just the thought of it, let alone doing it, the actual abstinence.
    I really don't know where you get your will power from. This wedding must mean so much to you. I hope your son knows how much effort you are going to and appreciates it. You have been dieting for quite some time now (how long is it?) and the wedding is not until September, if I remember correctly. So that's another 4 months to go, almost 5 depending on when in September the wedding actually is.
    How do you manage to stay so focussed through such austere times?? I couldn't do such extreme misery (and it would be misery for me, misery) for such an extended period of time. What I can do is mild austerity for long periods of time.
    I have quilted thighs. Quilted, just like really expensive bog-roll. I have never had cellulite before, until recently. I am just not willing to accept this as part of the natural ageing process. I think I am the kind of person who needs to work themselves up into a kind of rage, like a self loathing, and only then have I got the impetus to actually DO something about it. Grrr.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

What's this, linden?

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Thanks for the link, linden, I will take a look at this in the morning. [​IMG]

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

yeah, I've just eaten £2.50 worth of fresh, white fish (2 pieces done with lemon juice) . . . . delicious, but will need to find cheaper alternatives

20. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

http://www.minimins.com/dukan-diet/

This website has a forum for dukan followers (and most other diets come to think of it!) so you can exchange tips including how to deal with constipation etc. Hopefully the link should take you there, if not google MiniMins and look for the forum on their home page.