1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Due in December when should I start my maternity leave?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kate050184, Aug 8, 2011.

1. I am preganant and due on the 9th of December with my first baby. However I am currently the only wage earner in my house and for financial reasons i want to postpone my maternity leave for as long as possible. I was wondering when other people had taken their leave? How did they fee etc? I know that it would be good for school to go at half term but that would be six weeks before and my full wage would be gone before the baby even arrived. Plus I would like to have as much time with the baby as possible.
    Thanks for any advice
    xxxx

2. I am preganant and due on the 9th of December with my first baby. However I am currently the only wage earner in my house and for financial reasons i want to postpone my maternity leave for as long as possible. I was wondering when other people had taken their leave? How did they fee etc? I know that it would be good for school to go at half term but that would be six weeks before and my full wage would be gone before the baby even arrived. Plus I would like to have as much time with the baby as possible.
    Thanks for any advice
    xxxx

3. toeinwater

toeinwater New commenter

Sadly, as a long term ttc-er I have no direct experience of this. However, I'd say if you need/want to work as long as possible, why not put the latest possible date for mat leave, or maybe a week or 2 before due date; you can always change your mind closer to the time, or get signed off with extreme tiredness, thus starting your mat leave. Good luck!

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

With both of mine I started maternity leave at 36 weeks. Financially it would've been better to have held on a couple of weeks with the first and an extra week with the second, but I just couldn't do it. Even though I was part time the second time round, i was sleeping so badly, plus i had a toddler to look after, so i really appreciated leaving work that bit earlier and putting my son in childcare a few times to give me a break. With my first it was so lovely to have that time for myself that i knew i wouldn't have for a long, long time again!

5. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Go when it's right for you, not for the school. They will manage whatever. I tried to please the school to a certain degree, they have shafted me on my return, I will do as I please next time..!

Obviously, it is a very individual thing but I can say that, despite having a fantastic pregnancy - no morning sickness, slept well throughout etc - I really was ready to go at 36 weeks. I'm sure there are people who manage to work right till the end with no bother but I'm quite small and my bump was quite big and it really did start to take its toll! As Chica says too, if possible, it is nice to have that me time for what will probably be the last time in ages.
    Financially speaking, again, it's very different for each individual but you do manage on far less than you ever thought possible! Plus your spending changes completely.

Good luck with it all, such a special time! x

6. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

I'm in the same situation, due on the 3rd of December, and I've said I'm leaving on the 21st of November (2 weeks before). It really depends on how hard you are finding being pregnant - if you're already struggling you may have to stop sooner.

7. I used to work with a woman who went into labour at 39 weeks and her mat leave hadnt yet started! It is possible to work to the end if there are no complications but you will get really tired. That said I think the first trimester is worse than the third!

8. As Bradley says, if you are struggling with ill health and have no choice but to finish earlier than you've planned, your mat leave will automatically kick in if you take time off sick, so don't worry if you change your mind and can't soldier on as long as you'd hoped for.
    I'm due on the 27th Dec and have decided to try my hardest to work up until the end of the Xmas term, 11 days before my due date. It would work out so much better for me if it's possible and I can manage it, as then I can get paid holiday pay until my due date, if baby stays put till then!
    BUT of course it's one of those things where you have to wait and see how you cope, if I suffer from ill health or just can't cope then of course I'll be flexible.
    Good luck with your pregnancy.x