1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Duck

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Milkandchalk, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

On a whim I bought some duck from the shops.
    What can I do with it??

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Which bit - breast, legs, whole thing?
    I just pan fry breasts. Score the skin side first and give them 8 minutes on each side - you will need to drain off the fat part way through. Keep warm in the oven while you make a gravy with some red currant jelly. They come out pretty rare that way but totally delicious.

3. Milkandchalk

It's breasts I've got. I don't have redcurrant jelly, I've got some blackcurrant jam my mum made.... How do I go about making the gravy? Sounds lovely!

4. Score the fat and rub chinese 5 spice or fennel seeds mixed with a litle olive oil into the breast. Pan fry skin side down for around 8-10 mins, drain fat
    , turn over and cook for another 5-10 mins. remove from pan and leave to rest. Slosh wine into pan, scrape and allow to reduce. Serve duck cut into slices with gravy poured over the top.
    I see no reason why you shouldn't put a tsp of mum's jam into the pan along with wine.

5. Milkandchalk

Thanks for the advice folks. It was utterly gorgeous!
    I will have to rethink accompaniements as the chips and peas did not do it justice!