1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Duck offal

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Feb 20, 2011.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

I clerly remember being served a great delicacy in South-West France as teenager on exchange ................... but was it "queues de canard" or "cous de canard"????????
    I cannot remember what it looked like, just the fabulous flavour. It came packed in a jar preserved under fat - I think Madame made it herself.
    I have never seen/heard of it since, although I have looked.
    Does anyone know?

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Sounds like cou de canard farci, which is stuffed neck of duck, usually stuffed with foie gras and then usually slow cooked in duck fat, confit style (or cooked and then stuffed, I'm not sure). It's amazing!
    It's available, but I've only ever seen it in France - I once bought some home that I'd bought in a farm that produced it. Search online and you might find it on mail order. There are recipes for it online, but I'd suggest it's probably a big job!

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

It certainlyt was not farci, but I suspect necks rather than tails as I do not remember it being fatty.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I didn't know ducks had tails.
    It must be confit of duck neck then, cou being French for neck.
    You're welcome, by the way.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

of course they do - what else is the fatty pointy bit out the back??
    I feel like you are trying to teach me to suck eggs here! If you have followed the regular posters at all, you will know I am a French teacher!

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I had no idea you were a French teacher.
    I am a French speaker, hence why I thought I might be able to help. I've also eaten cou de canard, hence why I was trying to help.
    I believe I had helped in helping you to find out what it was you were eating. Duck's neck is a delicacy of Gascony. You gave no indication in your original post of even having the slightest idea what cou de canard was. It's a bit like asking for directions and then being offended at being shown a route you already know.
    How rude.