1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dublin Murders

Discussion in 'Personal' started by minnie me, Oct 18, 2019.

1. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

A couple of hours of my life I shan’t get back . Is it me or is this just slow and boring and unconvincing ? To be honest know it is based on some Tana French novels ( mash up ? ) and I have struggled and given up on her stuff in the past ( even though she is ‘ rated ‘ )

2. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I love Tana French's novels. She's one of my favourite crime authors.
    And i saw that there was now a tv series, but I haven't watched any of it yet.
    I'll wait until it's all been aired before making a start on it.

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's not bad.I did not realised it was based on books until I googled it while I was watching it. It's often the problem when books are adapted,it always look as if bits are missing.

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I watched the first two episodes and, at first I was bored by the way everything is explained for the viewer but then, I thought it's quite straight forward and not as dark as some other murder dramas so I relaxed into it and went with the flow.

We can watch complicated crime dramas that so often are unbelievable in a different way. Sometimes it's quite refreshing to watch something that is quite simple in format.

That's why I quite like the crime drama Shetland. It isn't too demanding and it isn't all about undercover cops and mysterious hierarchies.

5. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

I love Shetland, for a variety of reasons, but yeah, one of them is that it's pretty straight forward. I love the books by Ann Cleeves too.

Just out of interest has anyone watched the Icelandic series 'Trapped'?
    There's only 2 seasons so far.
    I love it for similar reasons to Hinterland, The Bridge and Shetland:- lead characters are 'faulty', nobody is a saint, plot lines are fairly simple, and the landscapes are dark, stark, brutal. I find them really atmospheric in the sense that the landscape and relentless onslaught of the weather really impacts on . . well, everything :)

6. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm with you on this.

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Just about to watch episode 4 but I can't pretend I follow all of it. Too much jumping around in the timeline.

HelenREMfan and FrankWolley like this.
  8. Jude Fawley

It's all getting a bit weird now.

"Little: far away".

9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Ever since The Killing hit BBC4 I have looked out for the foreign language shows (usually on BBC4 or E4). Whilst some are not worth the time, many are excellent. Some of my favourites have been:

The Killing
    Trapped
    Borgen
    Salamander
    The Outlaws
    Professor T
    Code 37
    The Bridge.

sodalime and emerald52 like this.
  10. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

@peter12171 Great list! Got to add Spiral, the Paris detectives series. New series has just started on BBC4. Gripping stuff.

sodalime and minnie me like this.
  11. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I didn’t get into Spiral, nor Inspector Montalbano (which a lot of people rave about). I always look out for the new foreign series, though.

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

It is a bit hit and miss. Love Spiral, Motalbano is not for me.

If I watch all the episodes it's a success. I liked
    Walter Presents
    13 commandments
    Vanished by the lake
    Blue Eyes
    Spin (seaon 1)

Generally French, German, Scandi for me.

13. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

I agree with you, Jude, Dublin murders is getting a bit weird now, and I'm finding it quite difficult to make sense of in parts. However, I intend sticking with it in the hope that it will all become clear!

blazer likes this.
  14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Trouble could come if after sitting through all the uncertainty they don't resolve it because they want a second series. Or worse they do a Broadchurch and follow up the excellent first series with terrible sequels.

sodalime likes this.
  15. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Okay, I've now watched the first 4 eps of Dublin Murders. Having read both books of which this tv series is a mash-up, the plot line does make sense to me and the mash-up is quite cleverly done, but i can understand why some of you are saying it's 'gone a bit weird'.
    I'm liking it. I think there's some very good acting in it, and it has stayed very true to the books.
    As to Spiral, i have to wait until it's nearly all been aired and then binge watch.

16. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

LOVED The Killing. Ooft. That was crime drama heroin.

17. Jude Fawley

After 'The Bridge' I can't watch anymore Nordic Noir.

I feel I'd be being unfaithful to Saga Noren: Malmo Police.

eljefeb90, minnie me and sodalime like this.
  18. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Saga doesn't care about things like that, Jude, she wouldn't mind.
    ;)

minnie me and peter12171 like this.
  19. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Watch out for the dark welsh language dramas that appear in Welsh a few months before they do in English. Apparently they film them in both languages and launch the Welsh version first
    Un Bore Mercher
    Y Gwyll
    Craith

Some don't appear in English - very good Pili Pala and the excellent Parch and 35 Diwrnod

LondonCanary and peter12171 like this.
  20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Have caught Giri / Haji on the i player and like it