1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai with three kids??

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by uddinp, Jan 23, 2016.

1. uddinp

uddinp New commenter

hi

I am looking into a job in Dubai which is offering around 14k in wages. 2 bed apartment, flights& medical for employee only :(

Here's the problem...I have three children and my spouse will be travelling with me too. Their flights are not covered and it hasn't been made clear but I'm assuming their health insurance is not covered either.
    They are happy to pay 75% of tuition fees for two dependents but I need to fork out full tuition fees for the third child. It seems that I will easily spend around 60k dhirams on their fees. Because we are keen on making this move happen my husband is willing to find a decent job that will help him make up for the fees. But sad to see his earnings go so easily and we won't be able to make most of this experience due to financial constraints

Is this a good enough package or should I wait for something better perhaps ( can't see this happen tbh)

The accommodation is near mirdif and I've heard the area is old for kids

Soooo what do u folks think?

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, a lot of cheapskate schools in the ME will sting you for school fees. And then there are all of the eye-watering "extras" that they forgot to mention. Would I be right in thinking that your husband does not actually have a definite job offer at the moment? Well, it sounds a bit dodgy to me.

3. uddinp

uddinp New commenter

No the husband has not got a job yet but will start looking if I get the job. Basically he will spend around £10,000 on tuition and we will have to pay for the flights. That means we will be very stretched and won't be able to enjoy this experience as we had anticipated. Including flights he will have to fork out £13000 in total.

Can I negotiate with the pay or benefits with them?

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

That does sound like an appallingly bad package they are offering. As the almighty Hippo has mentioned, there will always be hidden extras that you hadnt factored in when you do your figures. Do you have to pay for your kids food at school, books, etc. Not that i want to be negative, but i think you really need to do the maths on this.

5. uddinp

uddinp New commenter

Thanks! i know its not the best package but I feel I have no choice but to pay for the third child but seriously whats with the flights for employee only!!! most of these UAE jobs seems to only appeal to young singles!

6. dumbbells66

Unless you have an overwhelming desire and need to work in the UAE, then why dont you look further? It is not unheard for schools to pay full costs for 3 kids, plus flights, plus everything else. Yes its not the norm, but they are out there. My previous school in South East Asia would do this. I just think that on this package, with 3 kids and no confirmed job or your spouse, then it will probably cost you money to live... you have to question if it is actually worth it?

7. uddinp

uddinp New commenter

thanks for the reply!

my second choice was Qatar but they don't have many jobs advertised at the moment. i do have a desire to work in UAE due to the fact it has a nice blend of east and west, we have visited the country and find it convenient for the kids.

i really don't think the costs weigh up but i think ill have to be cheeky and maybe negotiate.

8. dumbbells66

Well you have nothing to lose, good luck with it.

9. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

I'm afraid that trying to live on this salary could be a very different experience from your holiday. Have you tried asking about the real cost of living on expat forums?