1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai, Vietnam or Thailand ? Anywhere else ?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by corvette1961, Nov 25, 2019.

1. corvette1961

corvette1961 New commenter

I've been working in two British international school on the Coast del Sol for 10 years, and have really enjoyed it. The pay is not great, but I like the lifestyle and can have a good life (lots of holidays) on a modest income. However, with retirement looming; I'm 57, I though I might try a change for two years knowing that when I return there is a decent chance of securing another job here in Malaga, either PT or FT, if I wish. I teach Business & Economics. The question is where ? I like the sunny climate and would not consider under any circumstance returning to the UK. Any suggestions ?

2. bobbingtoncrescent

bobbingtoncrescent New commenter

As others will probably point out, you might as well consider Malaysia too. The school being decent is perhaps more important than the destination.

motorhomer likes this.
  3. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

SE Asia is the obvious one - Malaysia, Thailand, even southern China (by sunny climate I presume you mean warm, in which case up here in chilly Beijing for the winter won't be your cup of tea!)

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Bulgaria, of course! It is just round the corner from Greece, so the summers are long and hot. Unfortunately the winters can be a bit nippy. If you have been teaching in Spain, then of course you will be used to poor salaries.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Not Dubai.

If you like life to revolve around shopping malls, go for it.
    Shallow people living in a plastic world of pretension and consumerism. I hate the place.

6. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Middle East would hold no interest for me. Far East has good weather and interesting culture. I’d recommend Hong Kong - Middle East levels of Pay and low tax but a much more interesting place to work. I’m 57 too but for me retirement and return to UK beckons. I will have been here for 3 years and saved loads for my pension. £70-80 k a year is doable with only 15% tax and apart from rent other living expenses are low. The other destinations you mention would be good too but I guess the pay in Vietnam wouldn’t be as good. You could try southern China too?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
  7. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

At age 57, it maybe more accurate to suggest you consider jobs where ever they will have you. There can be an age ceiling as you approach your late 50's.

8. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Quite surprised to read that.

Having experienced life overseas, doesn't retirement outside the UK, taking your relative high pension and living in relative comfort in a low cost environment, appeal?

ToK-tastic likes this.
  9. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

Are you not worried that if Boris has his wicked way with Her Majesty's United Kingdom that it will be far more difficult to get a Work Visa in 2 yrs time ? If I had a job in EU at the moment I'd be very tempted to stay put to ensure that I was 'carried over' in any transition. Hopefully this awful nonsense will never transpire...,

dumbbells66 likes this.
  10. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

The better schools in Vietnam pay very well, obviously not as well as HK, but considering the low cost of living, it's a great destination to live and save.