1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai - salaries and life

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mungomango, Mar 27, 2012.

1. mungomango

mungomango New commenter

Hello,
    I have been offered a job in Dubai. Before anyone mentions anything, I have searched the forum and read loads of posts, but a lot of which date from 2008 at the time of the crash/before.
    I have an idea that the salary they are offering is pretty standard - approx 14K for HOD role. It seems low, but it's an OK school. Accommodation provided. My other half is an accountant (we will get married) but hasn't secured a job yet. I would like to think that he would get a job eventually, but I'm not sure for how long he will be there unemplyed and it's not much money to live on for the two of us.
    I've always like the idea of Dubai and the expat community with loads going on. However, I wouldn't be out partying that much. I currently live in Europe.
    So, I suppose I'm just looking for any up to date advice and whether you can still live a reasonable life and save a bit on that money.
    Thank you!

2. You'd be able to get by for a few months until your partner gets a job, but it won't be easy saving up. You're not going to starve but going out in Dubai is very expensive. You'll need to get a car so it's a good idea to save beforehand for that, the cheapest ones to buy are about 10,000 Dhs and cheapest rent is about 1800Dhs/month. Taxis are cheap and you'd probably buy your groceries from the cheaper supermarkets like Lulu instead of the expat-oriented Spinneys. It's probably a good idea to save up as much as you can before you go in order to pay for things like internet set up, phones, ID cards, maybe some furniture and Christmas holiday tickets if your partner doesn't get a job by then. Best of luck to you both.

3. You're salary sounds about right although it depends how many years you've been working. If you are worried about the salary you could try and negotiate - you may be able to squeeze an extra 500 or so out of the them. I work in Abu Dhabi and the salaries seem a little better than Dubai, but then the accommodation is more expensive.
    Check that you will be paid your HOD stipend during the summer hols. I'm an HOD and I don't get the 1500 dhs/month for being a HOD in July and August, which I didn't find out about until April before.
    I agree with the previous poster about choosing where you shop for groceries, etc. You could live a very expensive life here, or you could live quite cheaply. Shop at Lulu or Carrefour, and just go to Spinney's for pork items and ex-pat luxury items you can't buy elsewhere. There are labourers and house-maids here who survive on 600 dhs/month and they somehow manage it, although I'm not sure how much fun they have of course!
    You can also sign up for internet discount coupons for meals out, mani-pedis, etc and the Entertainer book helps you save heaps of cash too.
    Good luck with the move and welcome to Middle East!

4. mungomango

mungomango New commenter

Thank you so much everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it. It makes me feel better just to know it is fairly standard and where to shop cheaply! I have 7 years experience. I will let you know once I make my decision!

5. Hi,

I have just been offered a maths teaching job with no extra responsibilities in a school in Dubai. I have 3 years experience with TLR

They have offered me DHS11,400, 2 bed apartment, medical insurance for myself only - dental not included (Wife and daughter not provided with any cover), and annual flight allowance of DHS 3000.

Is this reasonable or should i expect more. ie. Luggage allowance, more allowance for flights, utility bills payed for, insurance for wife and daughter.

Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

6. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

Don't take it! That is a low salary for Dubai and if you are financially supporting your family, you'll struggle. The overall package sounds weak and I know there are better to be had in Dubai. It is an expensive place for everything so think carefully and do your sums before you accept.

7. Thank you for your reply.

I have emailed them today and asked for an increase in pay and medical car for my family.
    Lets see what they say.
    Thank you once again