1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai Quals

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by adrixargentina, Jan 19, 2019.

1. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Hello! I have no PGCE just QTS (school based training) and I want to teach Spanish in Dubai. However my degree is a 2:1 BA Hons- Major in a humanity (subject I've never taught) with Minor Spanish. Any ideas if this would be accepted by the mid to top range schools. I've been teaching for 10 years so I wouldn't entertain the low end. Also, I'd prefer to work in British schools due to my kids. Thanks.

2. Geo_Marz

Geo_Marz New commenter

Ministry of Education in the UAE require your degree to be the same as your teaching subject, this is beyond the control of the school.

3. mungomango

mungomango New commenter

This isn't entirely true. As a whole they do require you to have a degree in your teaching subject, but there are ways and means around this although you do make it more difficult by not having a PGCE in that subject.

I don't want to give the game away of my subject so I will make up the subject, but say I went to university to study Chemistry, but as part of my degree, I did two years of Biology and had that on my university transcript and then wished to teach Biology it would be possible by submitting the university transcript. However, I have a PGCE in Biology and a degree in Chemistry. Without the it is more difficult but with QTS and a minor in Spanish I think you might be OK.

Depends on the school and how confident they feel/how much they want you to teach.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  4. mungomango

mungomango New commenter

This isn't entirely true. As a whole they do require you to have a degree in your teaching subject, but there are ways and means around this although you do make it more difficult by not having a PGCE in that subject.

I don't want to give the game away of my subject so I will make up the subject, but say I went to university to study Chemistry, but as part of my degree, I did two years of Biology and had that on my university transcript and then wished to teach Biology it would be possible by submitting the university transcript. However, I have a PGCE in Biology and a degree in Chemistry. Without the it is more difficult but with QTS and a minor in Spanish I think you might be OK.

Depends on the school and how confident they feel/how much they want you to teach.

5. adrixargentina

Ok thanks. I think it could be a case of just applying and seeing what happens. I've emailed the MOE, but I think I might email the KHDA too.

6. adrixargentina

On second thoughts wouldn't contacting the KHDA be like Ofsted?? Probably not useful to do that.

7. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

I got an e-mail from a school saying the main thing was the PGCE matching the subject.

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I found out some new information this weekend - only hearsay though... I still have colleagues who are teaching (in Abu Dhabi) who do not have degrees (or PGCEs) in the subject they are teaching. But I ran into a few teachers at brunch last Friday who work for a chain of schools (not well know, I hadn't heard of them before) one of whom was telling me they have transferred 2 teachers to different campuses this term so teach subjects their PGCE/Degree is in where as they had been teaching at the school for 3-4 years without it being a problem. So it could be it's something that is being more rigorously followed.

9. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

PGCE matching the subject is a new one - it's always been the degree which has been taken first. Maybe they've realized that doesn't quite work....!

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  10. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I've been told that they would accept a PGCE or Masters (for US teachers) in the subject, even if it's different from the original degree.

11. adrixargentina

I've emailed KHDA, NQA and ADEC. Only KHDA has responded and they've not been helpful.

Has anyone ever got a job in Dubai based on the minor part of their degree alone?