1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai Primary Contract

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by xxeleanorhxx, Feb 3, 2018.

1. xxeleanorhxx

xxeleanorhxx New commenter

I have just been offered a job at a school in Dubai for next September, during the interview I thought id completely messed it up, so didn't end up asking questions about the job in depth as I normally would. I haven't accepted the job yet but I am due the contract being sent through in the next few days to look over. Does anybody have any ideas what I should be looking out for in the contract? Anything that has caught people out before or things I should definitely expect.

Thank you :)

2. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Make very sure everything you want and need is there and in writing; salary, when you'll be paid and in what currency (if the pound strengthens as predicted this year, your salary could drastically fall if paid in local currency), settling in allowance and when paid, accommodation type, standard, location and single occupancy, when bonuses will be paid, what holidays are included, if public hols are paid, medical and flights entitlement, training entitlement, hours expected, weekend expectations, restrictions e.g. taking on tutor work outside of school, who keeps your passport, right to leave the country, notice period, probationary period and penalties if you resign etc etc. Remember, you are a virtual slave until given permission to leave the country. Beware exit penalties if you decide to leave, and beware any vague and general statements promises as tbey mean nothing in the ME.

You messed up, asked nothing about the job and they still offered you it? Doesn't that ring alarm bells? This is the ME so regardless of what is in writing, you'll be lied to about everything. I'd avoid this job.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

What reviews have you found about the place? Have you spoken to current teachers there?