1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai or not Dubai? With kids...PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by jkhanom, Feb 3, 2012.

1. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

My purpose of this blog is to enquire about any future prospects. I am a fully qualified modern languages teacher with French and Spanish being my subjects. I have three years experience and am able to teach both subjects to A level. Please can you tell me what my realistic salary expectations should be in Dubai for such a candidate and whereabouts you would live as teachers with families as I have 2 children ages 6 and 2. Basically what is the housing like that they provide.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Minimum salary would be around 11000AED/month. Some schools will offer accommodation allowance, others will offer a 2 or 3 bed apartment and others will give you a villa. Depends on the school and it also depends on whether you're a male or female. The flats and villas the schools offer out there are usually really good, each building has it's own pool and gym. Many teachers with families live in Arabian Ranches, Silicon Oasis, the Greens or as far out as Mirdif but again, it depends which school you'd be going to as some of those areas are quite far from some schools and quite near others. PM me if you're thinking of a specific school and I can give you an answer a bit more specific than this one!

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

.... and get rid of all those !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Any more info on Dubai for families warmly appreciated.

5. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

To be truthful, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are a no-brainer for families - beach, beautiful weather, sports, kingsmill bread & baked beans in Lulu. There is plenty to keep them occupied and good international schools - this is a must because there are equally not so good ones!

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Another no-brainer for teachers is something called The International Schools' Review. As lovely.lady has suggested, there are some horrible schools in Dubai and, not surrprisingly, the ISR reviews for these schools are great if you enjoy reading horror stories.

7. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

dont like having to pay for truth.

8. the hippo

Lies can be even more expensive.

9. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

is there a way to see some stuff without paying?

10. the hippo

Yes, I do have one or two reviews that I have copied into MS Word, but you need to see the reviews for the schools where you want to get a job. Thirty US dollars is not a lot to pay for this information.

11. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

The forum there is free and you are allowed to ask/comment about schools by name.

12. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

Thankyou so much

13. $30 to save yourself two years of misery sounds like a bargain to me.

14. the hippo

Well, Physallis, I am a fan of the ISR and one of its supporters on this forum. There have been some pretty scathing comments about the ISR that have appeared from time to time. To be honest, some of the reviews are bitter and sour grapes. I have written three or four ISR reviews and I tried to make them balanced, giving both the positive and the negative points of working at each school.

15. I agree Hippo. I also think that if you want to make the leap there is as much to be learnt from bitter and twisted posts (like being relieved that someone quite so miserable and vindictive is gone - not saying all angry reviews are due to nasty people...I am sure some are possibly a little justified) as nice fluffy ones. You do have to take each one with a pinch of salt but we're all clever people (!!!) and hopefully can take the useful information from each review.

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Have to agree with all of the comments aboout the $30 fee for ISR.
    Some schools can be very good at covering the truth and presenting a very rosy view of what can potentially be a financial and educational mightmare.
    There is the whole spectrum of schools in Dubai ranging from very good to 'not very good'. You will get some information on here, but I would also invest a little in getting some honest opinions.
    If you look at a school review on ISR which is not good, you can always come on here to get clarification, even if it is via a PM.
    This is particularly relevant as you are enquiring about moving with children.
    Saving $30 in this situation is a false economy.

17. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

I have joined the ISR and have had eyes wide opened about certain national schools. However as for some international schools- they are completely recruiting for everyone, should I hold the same opinions? Also could you give anymore info about Sharjah or Mirdiff with family. any live images of housing?