1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai job offer but no contract yet?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by shelly_holl, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Me and my fiancée have both been offered jobs to teach in the same school. this was one week ago the offer was subject to references. My school said they have sent one reference in time for the original interview. after the offer we were asked permission for them to get our references which we agreed to, both off us will have excellent references. its been 4 days now and they haven't actually been in touch with our referees. I am starting to get very concerned that we will not hear from them again and that the job offer will no longer stand. |Does anyone know the time scale we should be expecting from job offer to actual contract, I don't want to start pestering them if it usually takes this long or does anyone know if it is common for schools in Dubai to make offers and then change their minds for no reason. thanks

2. I wouldn t worry too much. It takes schools ages to do anything out there (or at least when I worked there)
    Maybe send them an email as a prompt (thats what I had to do)

3. 576

576 Occasional commenter

4 days!
    Even the 2 British schools I worked in took more than 4 days between offering the position and issuing a contract.
    Have patience.

4. should we be concerned that they haven't contacted referees yet? there's just a lot to do so the sooner we can get started the better!

5. literarybimbo

literarybimbo New commenter

Honestly- do not be worried but do get in touch! You will get used to the Dubai way soon enough. It takes forever for them to get themselves sorted. Assertive is the way to go- I'd email them. I know it seems a bit 'rude' or pushy when you're not used to it but I've been here since September and have learnt quickly. :)