1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai / international... How to find the good schools.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ELLECD, Feb 8, 2020.

1. tumtitum

tumtitum New commenter

Hi
    Looking at applying for jobs on the international circuit for the first time, specifically Dubai. I have family teaching in Asia and worked there for a while as a TA, however this was a long time ago. Thoughts of Dubai is based on it being a manageable distance from the UK, and hearing that there are opportunities out there to work in great schools (with excellent salaries that would allow me to save a nest egg).

Despite successfully teaching in the UK for 8+ years, I'm now feeling like a real newbie! I've done a search on Dubai in the forum and not managed to find the information I'm looking for, or at least I can't understand the cryptic code being used to identify schools. I have however read an awful lot of warnings / horror stories about the highly variable nature of international schools (which is expected) but obviously I can't visit to scope them out before hand. I've not had much luck doing research online as obviously they all look amazing on their websites.

Would anybody be willing to offer advice (via PM if necessary) on how to figure out if a school is all it says it is, or even advice on specific schools in Dubai?

Many thanks,
    T.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear ELLECD, some people send one of those TES Conversations to a smelly old hippopotamus.

Yes, of course you cannot understand the cryptic code. If you did understand it, then it would not be very cryptic and the TES Moderators would delete your post (and maybe the rest of the thread as well).

3. tumtitum

tumtitum New commenter

Thank you! I will pop you a message (once I've figured out how... long time lurker first time poster haha).

And you're right, the code is clearly fit for purpose.

4. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

5. mungomango

mungomango New commenter

I currently work in Dubai and have done for 8 years. If you go to the KHDA website you can see the inspection reports of the schools which is a good place to start. Whichschooladvisor is also a good place to look. There are SO many schools in Dubai most of which are great to work in. Some you will get paid more, some you will get less. Some you will have more British students, some more Arab or Indian. Then there are a whole load of other schools which employ teachers who are not British and pay such a low salary so you need to stay clear of those.
    It's a mine field. BUT generally schools which are Very Good or Outstanding according to KHDA and which charge 50k or more per year will be just fine.

carrickally, stopwatch and tumtitum like this.
  6. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

I have also started a conversation with you.

tumtitum likes this.
  7. the hippo

Yes, I would definitely recommend cotacting someone who is currently teaching in Dubai!

8. tumtitum

tumtitum New commenter

Thanks for the helpful replies and messages.

9. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Is it terrible to say that this wouldn't be my first point of call ? I have very little respect for Ofsted style inspections, and know of several schools in the UAE that have excellent inspection reports that are awful places to work.

T0nyGT likes this.
  10. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Me neither, since there are some excellent new schools that haven't had their first inspection yet.

11. carrickally

carrickally New commenter

I get what the above two posters have said about the KHDA reports and how they can fall down. I recently looked at the very good and outstanding schools in Abu Dhabi to see if there were any variables that correlated with their success and it turns out there is only one: student teacher ratios.

Anyway, on Dubai, the general rule of thumb is to aim for the not-for-profit schools as they will pay well but they will also expect more bang for their buck. If you have a family with you, they would be the place to go.

If you are without kids, the large diamond/ruby/sapphire school group's UK curriculum stable wouldn't be a bad place to aim for.

12. yasf

yasf Established commenter

That really can depend. As I mentioned:
    The KHDA annual OFSTED inspection regime does kind of fit with British schools. There's a real clash in philosophy and approaches that doesn't suit US or all through IB schools.

13. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

You are joking....? Not unless you are scraping the barrel... apart from JC, and maybe, just maybe the boot on SZR, they should be avoided.

yasf likes this.
  14. didi1866

didi1866 New commenter

Where would you suggest single mum teaches? non for profit didn't seem like worth the upheaval, but the large diamond type would not be suitable from reading thread? I have 12 + years experienceprimary and eyfs teaching

15. Powergnome3

Send me a conversation and I'll let you know.

didi1866 likes this.
  16. teachersn

teachersn New commenter

What is the school that researches Bio/Chem/physics like?

17. the hippo

My sources of info have said that it is not great, with rather too many locals, but the accommodation is good.

18. didi1866

didi1866 New commenter

Have sent a conversation

19. Powergnome3

Reply sent

20. PuertaDelVino

PuertaDelVino New commenter

I know about the diamont/sapphire schools as I wrote on another thread just all about their "interviews" for a Brucie Bonus. Package was not too bad but PM me if you want to know more. The HT did not go into details about salary but I was informed of it over the phone b4 the interview invite.