1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai English Teacher Advice/Help required

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Dave2004, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Dave2004

Dave2004 New commenter

Hi, I was wondering if anyone with experience teaching English in Dubai would be able to give me some advice. I'm thinking of moving to Dubai from Tokyo to continue teaching my language to others.

I have been teaching English abroad for just over 15 years although, I do not have any formal qualifications yet, I have an abundance of references from both Spain and Japan, where I've been working.

Is it possible to get employment in Dubai without formal qualifications, with experience being the measure?

Appreciate any responses or links to the existing threads on the matter.

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

Daves ESL cafe might be useful, but I can’t imagine that your package (if any) would be great to live on.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable could stir you in the right direction.

3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Your chances are the same as a snowball in hell of securing a high quality well paying job in Dubai without any formal qualifications!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I think that I must echo the rather negative comments made so far. A CELTA would be a good start and it takes about a month to get one. If the OP really wants a regular job at a recognized school, then an iPGCE might be the way to go. It is not as a good as a "real" PGCE, alas, but better than nothing.

5. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I know of someone with a CELTA only working in a school here and making decent money - I think 13k+ housing.

They are British and have been here a few years and changed jobs a number of times to get there though.

I know that the BC in Dubai often advertise and Abu Dhabi BC were hiring recently and there are other places that will take you with only a CELTA but I have idea what the salaries might be.

If you really want to make the move then you would probably get a job at the Chew The Fat school and I believe they are advertising for English teachers at the moment. You probably wouldn't want to work there though - I hear only negative things apart from one person who I know who loved working there, but left for another job with a higher salary - rumours are they pay 10k a month plus housing.

6. Dave2004

Dave2004 New commenter

OK, so nobody would advise just 'turning up' then I guess?

Is there a better time of year to look for work in Dubai? In Japan, for example, the educational year starts in April.

thank you to everyone

7. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Recruitment for decent international schools runs from September through to the end of february. There are always jobs available, but there may be a reason why a school is recruiting outside of these times...not always good.

If you "just turn up" then you could be hired as a local hire and you may be on a fraction of what expat hires are on. Also you may not have the benefits that the expats get....so no, dont just turn up, this is a silly idea.

Join Search Associates as soon as possible....if you have proper teaching qualifications....if not, then you are going to struggle to get anywhere near the good jobs

8. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

The school year starts in September and there are still schools advertising now, but all the ones I've seen want a teaching qualification.

I'm not 100% sure what the rules are but TES is probably not the best place to be looking if you haven't got a teaching qualification - have a look on Edarabia, the UAE newspaper websites, dubizzle, indeed and join some Facebook groups.

9. Dave2004

Dave2004 New commenter

Thanks again, just the feedback I was hoping for

10. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

You’ll need a visa to live and work there, and those generally require credentials.