1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai and kids. I want to move to Dubai with my sons to join my husband.

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by beatamizi, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I just wanted some advice on moving to Dubai with kids.
    I have been teaching for 7 years and currently have Second in Department position.
    My husband is already there working. We have two kids 6 and 8.
    I was wondering if anyone has moved to Dubai with kids? How is the schooling, is it provided and paid for by school? And what about the accommodation, we currently have a lovely house with massive garden in beatiful Hertfordshire. Is there different accomodation for families with kids? How would the kids get to schools?
    My husband is there for over a year, and this is having impact on our boys, they miss him too much, so I have decided to move there.
    What can I expect to earn based on my experience? I am currently on MPS6 plus TLR 2b, so is it worth it?
    I am willing to give it a shot, but worried if kids will cope with the heat and the acommodation. Can anyone offer some advice?
    Thanks

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I'm confused; last month you posted -
    Have you had a very sudden reconciliation?

3. Hi, thanks for your reply.
    My husband is not a teacher, he works in hotel business. He was offered job in Dubai, and with current job market in UK it was to hard to refuse.
    I was to follow him right away, but I had my reserves and also had a good job here. Now I am tired of the situation in schools in Uk. I have had problems with kids misbehaving in the classroom, and had to resign from my current job. After many interviews and no job, I am now seriously looking into moving to Dubai.
    With my experience and position of leadership, what would I expect to earn in Dubai?
    Many thanks,

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There are some good schools in Dubai. The bad news is that most of them will probably have done a lot of their recruiting for 2012 already. There are also plenty of awful schools. Why don't you join the International Schools' Review, beatamizi, and then you can read all about them?

5. You might have trouble with the kids in Dubai, too, then. Too often, teachers move abroad because they think it will be easier. It ain't necessarily so.
    In any case, it won't be that easy to get a job. It's a very competitive market and Dubai seems to be at the top of peoples' wish to go to list.
    Not mine, I hasten to add.

6. forest1234

forest1234 New commenter

The salaries vary widely and ensure they cover health, accomodation etc. If you are having problems with the students in the UK you won't find it any better in Dubai (in most cases behaviour is not great with the added issue of limited English)

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

English would only be limited in local schools or some International Schools. The British Curriculum scools generally have a requirement that children are English speakers. The children are also generally much better behaved than those in UK State Schools.
    However, as other have said, jobs are difficult to get and most schools have done their recruiting for next year already.

8. Hi,
    Well, I kind of think it is a bit too personal to spill it out on public forum. But here it goes...we have parted our ways about 5 years ago, and now he wants us to try it again. Well call me a fool for thinking that I should give it a try...but I have had my fair share of problems with teaching in UK (as you can read it on this forum), and I am thinking that it would be good for the kids to be with their father. I am considering my options, it is not set in stone.

9. Thanks Perce,
    Yes some people seem to miss the point! [​IMG]

10. Only you know what that means.
    Yes, It would but is that good for you. If you are not happy will your children be?
    Many years ago FP gave me some very good advice which I never took heed of but here goes. He said, ''Don't say too much about yourself on here or you will be punished.''
    And I was and have been but I am a masochist. (mea culpa) Kinky or what?
    There are a lot of head teachers who post on here, especially those in the ME. They are very easy to detect because they are very serious and somewhat professional - but nice and helpful.
    Take care. Only you know what to do.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    I'm off to Oz tomorrow. Yeah!!! Did someone mention something about a crisis in Europe?

11. Oh and the ones in Sth East Aisia and thereabouts are helpful and wise too. Just dont listen to the nutters in Europe.
    And if you really want to be bored stiff read the posts of The Horse or The Griffalo.
    All in good fun. Have a 3:30AM bus to catch to Madrid for a flight to Doha-6 hours there. Kindle time.[​IMG]
    Dont go to Dubai![​IMG]

12. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Good luck to you all.
    Some things to consider:
    • Since your husband is already in Dubai and has a contract that includes housing etc, most schools would not offer you a contract with these things. They would consider you a 'trailing spouse' and hire you as a local hire, which generally means salary only, no benefits, not even health insurance or schooling for the kids. They would not sponsor you for a residence permit - your husband would have to.
    • If the family joins him, your husband's contract may or may not allow for an increase in his benefits to cover a larger house, flights, insurance and schooling for the family. He needs to explore this.
    • If you go to Dubai under your husband's sponsorship, he would have substantial control over you. In most marriages, this is not an issue, but if things are not right between you, they could be cause for concern. He would probably, for example, legally have power over whether you could open a bank account, he could set the limit on (or cancel) your credit cards, he could give or deny permission for you to leave the country, the house and all employment benefits would legally be his and he would have no obligation to share them with you. If your marriage went south, he could kick you out of the house with no access to money. He might even be able to take away permission for you to work (I'm not completely sure about this one, but it happened to a colleague of mine in a different Arab country.) He could possibly use a combination of these things to take custody of the children, in fact if not in law. (My specifics might be slightly off here and there, since I know more about the details in Qatar than the UAE, but the overall message is accurate: he would have immense power that could be misused.) All of this could of course end up in a huge mess and perhaps legal issues back in the UK, where it might or might not be sorted in your favor, but do you really want to put yourself in a position where you have no power?
    • A different option would be for you to apply for a job in Dubai as a single woman with children. This substantially lowers your chances of getting a job (all kinds of extra expense for the school, plus their worry that a single mom might struggle), but if you find a position you would be able to move to Dubai, have your own house, access to your own money, have schooling sorted for your kids, etc, etc, etc. Then you could explore whether you can repair your marriage without the risks mentioned above. If it works, fantastic. If not, my sympathies, but you'll still be in control of your own life.
    It makes me sad that I have to say these things, but I've seen more than one marriage disintegrate overseas, and issues of sponsorship, housing and schooling add in complications that just don't exist in the same way at home. Things can get really nasty.
    I wish you the best of luck and a fulfilling renewal of your marriage.

13. harsh-but-fair

Oh dear ...

14. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

You can't teach an old troll;; new tricks can you Harsh?

15. Dear Gulffgolf,
    Many thanks for your email.
    I have to say that all you wrote has made me think really hard.
    Thank you again.
    I think I will explore my options in the UK.

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sorry Beata. You deserve to be happy, and you have my best wishes.

17. Dubai is great for families and singles. But just choose your school very carefully. I have been teaching in a British school here for 5 years, and sadly since a change of leadership have seen the school go to the dogs in the last 2 years. So my advice to you is: Yes come to Dubai, but choose your school carefully! Ask around- parents and other teachers and see what the reputation is like.

18. Michie1

Michie1 New commenter

Funny the way another thread on said school got pulled very quickly Sheikha!

19. harsh-but-fair

Welcome to TES, michie

Chunks likes this.
  20. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Yes, Dr Mack is a miracle worker: I was clinically dead for ten years until I met him; now I run ultra-marathons. Tell people that, though, and they won't believe you o_O