1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dubai 2019

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mary821, Feb 1, 2019.

1. London020

London020 New commenter

I’m in the same position. I’m still waiting for my contract before I resign.

2. mary82

mary82 New commenter

From Newcastle. I think it’s mid August when I fly getting excited now x

3. London020

London020 New commenter

Yeah mid August for me as well. Flying out from Birmingham, what about you guys?

4. rieanah

rieanah New commenter

I'm flying out from Manchester in mid August too

5. alnoor_58

alnoor_58 New commenter

Hi mary821, I have just been offered a job in Dubai as well, I will be traveling in August.

mary821 likes this.
  6. Feema

Feema New commenter

Congratulations. I’ve accepted an offer and fly out in August. Happy to have a chat.

mary821 likes this.
  7. alnoor_58

alnoor_58 New commenter

Hi rieanah, i will be flying out of Manchester too in august don't know exact date as school has not provided ticket info yet.

What school are you going to and subject

8. rieanah

rieanah New commenter

Hi,

I'm flying out on the 20th (school is finalising the ticket, so just waiting for confirmation) I'm teaching Psychology at Gems silicon oasis

9. rieanah

rieanah New commenter

What school are you teaching at, and what subject?

10. alnoor_58

alnoor_58 New commenter

wow i bet your excited, i think i will be flying out around that time as i have an induction on the 21st.
    I am going to Kings Al Barsha teaching Computer Science

11. rieanah

rieanah New commenter

That's good. Is it just you That's moving over? Or taking family with you?

12. alnoor_58

alnoor_58 New commenter

Initially it will be myself then my family will come over a month later once i am settled in and have sorted sponsorship

13. markedout

markedout Occasional commenter

Please note forum rules about naming schools.

14. markedout

Please note forum rules about naming schools.

15. dd1978

dd1978 New commenter

Just out of curiousity, what are your levels of experience and pay grades in the UK? I'm UPS3 plus a large TLR. I've been teaching for 16 years, I've been a HOD for 6 years and a HOY for the last 3. I've applied for numerous teaching posts abroad, including Dubai, and got absolutely no where. Am I too expensive? or am I simply too old?

16. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

I'm in Abu Dhabi rather than Dubai, but I would guess I'm a similar age and it hasn't been a problem. I think you might be right regarding being to expensive though. Salaries are way down in the last few years, so I suspect schools know you wouldn't accept an offer of 12,000AED + housing or similar as it would be a pretty dramatic pay cut.

17. mary821

mary821 New commenter

Have you looked at leadership positions? I’ve been teaching 11 years - ups3 & luckily had no problem getting a good offer Recruitment starts early though. Maybe ask an agency for advice?

18. Feema

Feema New commenter

I’m flying from Manchester in August the 15th. Have you been provide lots of information from your school?

19. markedout

I was a Deputy Head on L13 in Inner London before I came out here. I was one of 60 people who applied for the job I do now, and although I am in a leadership role, it has been a step down. I think that is fair given that I had no international experience at all.

20. rieanah

rieanah New commenter

My school is booking the flights, I've not received details yet.