1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dual to Triple Award

Discussion in 'Science' started by mbuch, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hello,
    My son whi is in Year 8 is doing his accelerated science and has almost completed all the KS3 units of work (Y7, 8 and 9). This was planned for students to gain a separate GCSE in all the 3 sciences as a Triple Award.
    However, we are having to relocate outside the country and although he would still be going to a British School, they only offer an Edexcel Dual Awardin Science. In that case, if my son wants to go ahead with the triple science choice, can he still go ahead and do it? (I can arrange for him to catch up with the extended units of B3, C3 and P3 since he will be repeating a lot of the units in Year 9 anyways, which would leave him with more time at hand.
    Basically the idea was to find out if a student can study those extended units and do a triple after having done a dual, through an institution that would let him sit an exam through them.
    Thanks a lot
    Cheers
    MB

2. Ther should be no issue with controlled assessment when taking the three separate sciences; he will need to complete the biology, chemistry and physics controlled assessments associated with the additional science units (B2, C2 and P2). The controlled assessment associated with science (ie B1, C1 and P1 units) is not required for the separate science GCSEs.
    All you would need is for the school to ensure that he is correctly entered for the individual sciences and for you to ensure that he covers the work for the B3, C3 and P3 units of study.