1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dual role - parent and teacher!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Herringthecat, May 5, 2012.

1. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

I have come to teaching late in life and am starting my first year of teaching in September, by coincidence, at the school where my son will be also starting in year 7!

I am trying to think through all the potential pitfalls and pros and cons of this situation and would love to hear from anyone who has taught in the school where they have had kids. I have been promised that I won't be timetabled to teach him next year! Hopefully that'll really happen!

So far I've thought of:

Being VERY careful how I offload to my partner after a day at school, so my son's ears don't flap.

Risks and tact involved if, as a parent, I need to discuss something about my son with one of his teachers.

Learning not to bristle if a colleague whinges about a year group / class which my son is in

Encouraging him to keep quiet that I'm his mum as I don't want him to be singled out in that way

Potential for me being embarrassed if his behaviour is not good (unlikely but you never know), particularly in my subject.

I will be seeking out other parent / teachers in the school - I'm told there are some - and try and get their take on it too... but it would be really helpful to know what has helped others in the same situation.

2. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

I have come to teaching late in life and am starting my first year of teaching in September, by coincidence, at the school where my son will be also starting in year 7!

I am trying to think through all the potential pitfalls and pros and cons of this situation and would love to hear from anyone who has taught in the school where they have had kids. I have been promised that I won't be timetabled to teach him next year! Hopefully that'll really happen!

So far I've thought of:

Being VERY careful how I offload to my partner after a day at school, so my son's ears don't flap.

Risks and tact involved if, as a parent, I need to discuss something about my son with one of his teachers.

Learning not to bristle if a colleague whinges about a year group / class which my son is in

Encouraging him to keep quiet that I'm his mum as I don't want him to be singled out in that way

Potential for me being embarrassed if his behaviour is not good (unlikely but you never know), particularly in my subject.

I will be seeking out other parent / teachers in the school - I'm told there are some - and try and get their take on it too... but it would be really helpful to know what has helped others in the same situation.