1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dual qualification

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by piapiapiano, Aug 30, 2016.

1. piapiapiano

piapiapiano New commenter

I am a qualified and experienced primary teacher with a BMus degree so I help out a lot with supply work covering music as well as primary. I am considering applying for a dual qualification so that I will be able to teach secondary music as well. (Scottish system) Has anyone else done this? And how do I go about trying to create a PLP ? What kind of things need to be included, etc? If anyone has experience/advice/helpful links etc., then I would be very grateful! Thank you in advance.

2. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Try phoning the GTC, and your union. Best of luck!

3. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

I believe, or it least the case as it was, is that in order to become dual you must complete a probationary period in that subject. Not a formal probation year as NQTs do but 190 days teaching in the nominated dual subject in order to achieve dual qualification.

4. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

Potatoes is right. However, if you have the appropriate qualifications (accepted by GTCS) you simply need to start teaching that subject to build up your hours. Also, in my experience, as long as it is clear that you are teaching the second subject on a regular basis and the school is prepared to sign you off, the GTCS accept less than the stated 190 days.

5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Potatoes is right. I've just done it to add History to Modern Studies. Basically taught my normal timetable and got a couple of observations done during that time.

6. Lew1Kat9

Lew1Kat9 New commenter

Hi,

Can I ask what qualifications you had in History to dual qualify? I am hoping to dual qualify in Music (my current subject) and drama (no previous experience).

Thanks

7. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I already had a degree in History and European Studies - the European Studies bit contained enough politics to score for the Modern Studies qualification, and the History one is self-explanatory. I was even able to do the dual qualification for History while teaching abroad - the GTCS let me use IGCSE History and English KS3 History to count towards my registration.