1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DTLLS to BA (hons)

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Maid_of_kent, Aug 24, 2020.

1. Maid_of_kent

Maid_of_kent New commenter

So,

I completed the Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector in 2012 and went on to gain QTLS in 2014. I want to re-train as a Primary teacher but I need a degree in order to do it. Whilst on the DTLLS course, our tutor said we'd be able to complete a degree in 1 year.

Has anyone done this? Can anyone recommend a university that does distance learning? Can anyone let me know if there is a specific degree I need to be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

2. Skippy17

Skippy17 New commenter

I don't know, but I'd guess it would have to be a degree in Education as your diploma is in Education - essentially, you need credit transfer so your previous study (DTLLS) needs to be relevant and equivalent to the first two years of the degree. I think you might be on a hiding to nothing as you don't have previous study in Primary Ed specifically, but you search for courses on UCAS or Get Into Teaching and contact some providers you like the sound of. Fingers crossed!

3. Maid_of_kent

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. The degree I have found is Education Studies so fits with my previous study. A lot of the modules are what I've already covered. My DTLLS is only 120 credits at Level 5 (UCAS states it's the equivalent to the 2nd year of a degree). I've applied to the University of East London to do their distance learning degree in Education Studies and am waiting for them to get back to me with an answer. I've been in touch with "get into teaching" and had a seminar with a local provider of School Centered Initial Teacher Training. All I need is a degree (which can be in any subject) and I can do the training. Fingers crossed the University come back as only needing to study the final year (level 6). I'm pretty sure you can't get funding for a level you have already achieved a qualification at and I don't have the money too fund it myself so it will have to be 3rd year, level 6. I'll wait and see what they say though but I do know of at least 8 (from my class of 20 on the DTLLS course) that have since gained a degree and started in the 3rd and final year. They all attended the Uni though whereas I need to do distance learning.

4. Skippy17

Skippy17 New commenter

I wrote a reply and it's disappeared.

Maid_of_kent likes this.
  5. Skippy17

Skippy17 New commenter

Second time lucky?

So it looks like you know more than me! Fingers crossed one of the universities will come back with the reply you are looking for.

I'm a bit confused as to the route your friends took though. A BA is worth 360 credits and you said DTLLS is worth 120, so how did they manage to get straight onto the final year?

6. Maid_of_kent

I don't know but I've since found a Facebook group with people that have done the same. I'm wondering if they've got awarded the level 4 120 credits (first year) through experience. I know UNI's can award credit based off of experience rather than academic success. It's called APEL - accreditation of prior experiential learning.

7. Skippy17

Skippy17 New commenter

Very interesting! I hope it works out for you