1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DTLLS Route

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by connie-91, Jun 1, 2016.

?

What route did you take to gain QTS?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2016.
  1. DTLLS & QTS separately

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. PGCE

100.0%
  1. connie-91

connie-91 New commenter

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone else had gotten into teaching via the DTLLS route?

I currently teach in a secure unit and I have my PTLLS Level 4 qualification. In addition to this I have my TAQA Level 3 and IQA Level 4 qualification however I am aware that this leads to assessing routes rather than teaching routes. I am currently studying an English Language and Creative writing degree with the Open University however I have my English Literature and Language A-Level.

My current employer is going to fund my DTLLS qualification and after a bit of research I found that after completing this you can opt to do you QTS. I was wondering whether anyone else had gone down this route and whether it's caused any issues with finding employment as a fully qualified teacher (as I'm aware this is not the typical route).

My original plan was to do my PGCE however I do not want to take a wage cut in order to do this. It's not something that is practical at this minute.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

2. bob79

bob79 Occasional commenter

Hello, I was under the impression that a PGCE meant you did not have to update your qual, whereas with DTTLs you did - this would be the reason why I would do the PGCE. I may be wrong so apologies if I am!

3. ruby_clift

ruby_clift New commenter

Connie-91,

I am in a similar circumstance. My employer has hired me as a tutor with the condition that I complete a DTLLS funded by the organisation. At the interview they described it as a year to 18 months course with a small salary contribution. Recently I have been informed that option is unavailable and I will now attend a course that is 2 years in length and requires a further years commitment to the organisation to avoid paying back fees. I completely understand that there would be a commitment to stay after completing the qualification, especially since they are funding the opportunity, but I suddenly feel trapped by the length of time.

I am considering other options, including PGCE as the course could be a year followed by NQT year.

I am also trying to research the likelihood this qualification allows you to teach abroad, any advice?

Thank you!

4. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

You didn't clarify which KS (1-2 or primary, 3-4 or secondary or 5/post 16) you're hoping to work as a teacher. I'll, however, assume you're in the post 16 sector where the DTLLS to which your referred has now been replaced with Diploma in Education and Training (DET). Considering that you're already undertaking your English Language and Creative writing degree with the Open University, I'll complete that and (in view of your intention to keep working and earning whilst training) then I'll do a school-based PGCE that leads to QTS. It's only by gaining a PGCE+QTS that you can uninhibitedly teach globally at any levels.

5. connie-91

connie-91 New commenter

Sorry about the delayed reply everyone! Thank you for the advice, Dr Jay, and I hope this also answers Ruby's questions regarding teaching abroad.

I didn't clarify which KS because I think I'm unsure myself at the moment. Does anyone know of any good careers advisors I could speak to? Or organisations that I could speak to regarding careers?

Thank you!

6. LILA57

LILA57 New commenter

I would bear in mind that training via an FE sector route will focus on curriculum and needs of 14+ and adults whereas training in the schools sector will focus on children/young people.The nature of pay and conditions can vary widely between the two sectors though perhaps less between schools and sixth-form colleges.Whether you are expecting to train in-house in your current employment is also a factor to consider as your placement may affect future employability aswell as your qualification