1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

DT week help

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shiney, Feb 25, 2011.

1. At school next week we are having a DT week. Amongst other things the children in my year 3/4 class would like to do some work with Lego (the boys are lego mad-particularly star wars!) We have a few boxes of basic lego, trouble is I'm struggling to think of what to do that will involve some good quality DT learning.
    Our topic at the moment is space so the rest of the week we are creating moving aliens using pneumatics and cam shafts, designing a space suit for our class teddy-investigating the most appropriate materials and how to join them, making a simple jigsaw and cooking.
    I thought about perhaps making the strongest lego tower or the most aerodynamic lego car but I'm not sure if they will all turn out very similar when we test them as lego is pretty strong anyway and pretty square whatever they do with it!
    Has anyone done anything similar with lego? Any ideas will be greatfully appreciated.

2. At school next week we are having a DT week. Amongst other things the children in my year 3/4 class would like to do some work with Lego (the boys are lego mad-particularly star wars!) We have a few boxes of basic lego, trouble is I'm struggling to think of what to do that will involve some good quality DT learning.
    Our topic at the moment is space so the rest of the week we are creating moving aliens using pneumatics and cam shafts, designing a space suit for our class teddy-investigating the most appropriate materials and how to join them, making a simple jigsaw and cooking.
    I thought about perhaps making the strongest lego tower or the most aerodynamic lego car but I'm not sure if they will all turn out very similar when we test them as lego is pretty strong anyway and pretty square whatever they do with it!
    Has anyone done anything similar with lego? Any ideas will be greatfully appreciated.

3. Could the DT be extra to the lego? They could build rockets out of lego. The DT could then be something like to design something to cushion the fall of their rocket. Lego structures have pretty cool explosive/shattering tendencies so it would be easy to see whether their structures were protected well or not.
    Otherwise I would probably link it to the making of the aliens using the moving parts. That sounds like a DT project in itself, especially if they were to investigate the use of pneumatic and cam mechanisms first, then design how they would incorporate one or more into their design.

4. Thanks Waterfin, those are great ideas. I never thought of combining the lego with the alien project that could work well. I also like the idea of shattering lego! That would make a fun DT challenge.